Cheap back up dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's to be a backup, I personally would not spend more than the $50 for a DGX 600. I have the 600 and the DGX Max and I like the on/off mechanism of the 600 better. They seem to be pretty much equal on brightness and beam angle.

I've been doing some research on smaller form factor dive lights under $100 (which I wanted to share with the board).
I'm looking for a compact (back up) LED light to easily affix to a BCD shoulder or waist strap that uses 1 or 2 AAA, AA, C123 batteries, or a single 18650 rechargeable battery.
Prefer: Smaller to bigger. Cheap to expensive. Brighter to dimmer. More levels to less. Regulated output to unregulated. One hand activation over two hands.

Here's what I am looking at:
Dive Rite BX-1
DRIS Mini G 600
DGX-600 and DGX Max
Xtar D18
Nitecore SRT6 and SRT7
Archon D11V
Fenix SD10
Lights added:
Orcatorch 700
Mako 680
Cave Adventurers Explorer light

Any comments? Opinions? Experience?
Just get one. All lights are expendable, sooner or later. Then get a different one.

If it's to be a backup, I personally would not spend more than the $50 for a DGX 600. I have the 600 and the DGX Max and I like the on/off mechanism of the 600 better. They seem to be pretty much equal on brightness and beam angle.

Since this bubbled back to life, I'll post an update.

My DGX Max died after approximately 2 months of ownership. No apparent reason. It did not have water in it that I could see.

Dive Gear Express replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. At my request, they gave me a DGX 600, instead of another Max. I very definitely prefer the on/off mechanism of the 600 over the Max. The Max seemed as though it would let me turn it on/off with one hand and that was it's main appeal. But, in practice, the twist ring was too stiff for me to turn with just a thumb and finger, while holding the light body with the other 3 fingers. And, without actually looking at the light, I found that sometimes the thing I was twisting was not the on/off ring but actually the light head (though I never turned the head enough to let water in). In contrast, the 600 is bullet and idiot proof and I can live with having to use 2 hands to turn it on. At least it doesn't ever turn on accidentally, like my cheap Chinese light with the slider switch.

Hope you find a torch you like op, but just a thought: if you ever had to use your *backup* torch, wouldn't you want to be 100% sure it is going to work?

So I struggle a bit with the idea of a cheap backup. My suggestion is to pay for something that is rock solid that I know will work if I'm stuck in the dark with a broken primary.

I went with Hesser backups, but there are many others good torches out there.

Reactions: Jax
Since this bubbled back to life, I'll post an update.

My DGX Max died after approximately 2 months of ownership. No apparent reason. It did not have water in it that I could see.

Dive Gear Express replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. At my request, they gave me a DGX 600, instead of another Max. I very definitely prefer the on/off mechanism of the 600 over the Max. The Max seemed as though it would let me turn it on/off with one hand and that was it's main appeal. But, in practice, the twist ring was too stiff for me to turn with just a thumb and finger, while holding the light body with the other 3 fingers. And, without actually looking at the light, I found that sometimes the thing I was twisting was not the on/off ring but actually the light head (though I never turned the head enough to let water in). In contrast, the 600 is bullet and idiot proof and I can live with having to use 2 hands to turn it on. At least it doesn't ever turn on accidentally, like my cheap Chinese light with the slider switch.

I would expect the MAX on/off mechanism to be safer, as it won't risk accidentally flooding the light if the o-ring wears out. I was hoping to pick one one up but it looks like they don't offer the MAX in tight beam anymore, only 120deg for video.

I would expect the MAX on/off mechanism to be safer, as it won't risk accidentally flooding the light if the o-ring wears out.

Maybe. But, the Max has 2 O-rings and the 600 has 3. And even the Max O-rings get worn every time you swap a battery.

Plus the Max O-rings get worn every time you try to turn it on and accidentally turn the whole light head instead of the on/off ring - as I did more than once when trying to turn it on without looking at it.

Personally, for Rec diving, I don't think O-rings wearing out and leaking is an issue for either one.

IMO, backup light needs to be simple and reliable. Twist on/off, no need for multiple brightness setting because you only use it when primary fails, and you need it to exist the dive. If size does NOT matter, I always recommend thing like DRIS1000 3C, non rechargeable is more reliable IMO. Also since you don't use it often, so non rechargeable isn't bad for cost. It has long run time, reliable. If size matter, than thing like DGX600.

Becareful with what manufacture claimed lumen number. Most are exaggerated. Handhel lights that use XML Cree, regardless the binning, they really only produce about 300-400 lumen, which is very good for most usage.

The DRIS 1000 is a nice light, I'm not a fan of the twist on/off because of the possibility of unscrewing the head too far. That said, I've come to own a whole bunch of lights. From the cheap $10 green ebay 1000 lumen lights, to a hog morph 1000 kit from DRIS. I also have some dive-rite bx-1 backup lights. Those are the ones I recommend for a true backup light. Tiny, you can run them from 18650 or 3xaaa and reliable. Not 1000 lumens like most other LED lights these days but they're good enough for a backup. I got my BX-1's on sale at Cave Country Dive Shop for $50 each. Look around for a sale.

I've only ever had one light fail, and it wasn't a flood. It was a metal "3c" light from ebay with a slider dimmer/switch. I'm not sure what went wrong with it.

The hog morph 1000 I now only use with two video heads and a gopro. However, I just bought a sealife so I'll be retiring that setup. Lots of people like a corded light, but I find it to be a hassle.

I used to have a DRIS1000. Bright and worked well but flooded during a dive.

A little big for a backup though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom