Cheap Accommodations in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I work for an airline and get free air travel to most places in the east and west Caribbean. I am looking to take my first trip to somewhere down there later this year. I am looking for somewhere with very reasonable accommodations. I would also like to shore dive. I was and still am considering Bonaire but that is one of the few places that my airline does not service. Is there a ferry ride available from Aruba? I am open for suggestions. I am also looking into: St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Belize, Freeport, Nassau, & Barbados. Any links and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated. :14:

If you want to shore dive, Boniare is your first choice with Curacao second. AA and several other airlines go to Curacao. It's fairly cheap to get from Cuarcao to Bonaire something like $100RT. For a place to stay, Golden Reef Inn is nice. Liz and Ed will treat you right. www.goldenreefinn.com

Curacao is another great shore diving spot. More to do topside than on Bonaire but i's a good bit bigger. I don't have an inexpensive place to recommend but with cheap air, that's not as big a deal.

Well, you might not be able to get everything you want. Like if shore diving is really important (and that will certainly keep costs down) the places you mention with direct flights just aren't the places to do it. St. Lucia has some shore diving but my understanding is they only allow guided shore diving so that kind of misses the point IMO. Someone will probably correct me but I haven't heard of shore diving in the other places you mention, and some will be harder to find nice reasonable accomodations.

There are some flights among ABC islands but no ferries. A little extra trouble and cost for that, but could be the best bet to get you the diving you want at the best price overall. (The most expensive part of Bonaire is usually getting there.) Maybe if you say which airline you're on people can make more suggestions.

av8er23:
I work for an airline and get free air travel to most places in the east and west Caribbean. I am looking to take my first trip to somewhere down there later this year. I am looking for somewhere with very reasonable accommodations. I would also like to shore dive. I was and still am considering Bonaire but that is one of the few places that my airline does not service. Is there a ferry ride available from Aruba? I am open for suggestions. I am also looking into: St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Belize, Freeport, Nassau, & Barbados. Any links and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated. :14:

As an airline employee, you'll have access to http://www.id90.com/ If there's a particular resort, I'll usually just send an email and ask about the discount as it doesn't always match the website. Another is http://www.asutravelguide.com/ but you'll need a membership. PM if you want some specifics. Ken :42:

Grand Cayman has some good shore diving, but I would not consider it a budget destination. One of the most reasonable hotels, the Sunset House, generally runs over $100 a night even in off season. Because of the currency conversion, everything in Cayman is generally higher than most other Caribbean locations.

Aruba is also generally one of the more expensive islands for hotels, but there are bargains to be found as long as you do not insist on going high season (Jan through April 15) and staying directly on Palm Beach. And while it doesn't have the vast number of outstanding shore dives that Bonaire does, there are several good ones and some cool wreck diving to be had there. Also, for activities above water, it is probably as good as it gets in the Caribbean. As I am always traveling on a budget, and like going to Aruba, I have sampled a number of the budget hotels there.

This December some friends and I stayed at the MVC Eagle Beach which is a converted Dutch Marine vacation club. Other than small plain rooms with small beds, it was clean and convenient and with good A/C, cable TV, a mini frig in the room, just across the road from a very nice section of Eagle Beach. It also has a very good and reasonbly priced restaurant onsite. Including the daily breakfast buffet, it was $60 a night per room. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Also the Mill Resort across the road from Palm Beach is decent and offers off season specials in the $80 a night range. Many of these units have full kitchens.

There is also the Aruba Blue Village. This is inland a ways and is somewhat difficult to find and the rooms are not in particularly good shape, but it is popular with the young Dutch women who seem to fill the place up in Winter. It runs from $75 a night up depending on room type.

The Coconut Inn is also a clean little hotel off the beach in the Noord area. They have a full breakfast and kitchenettes for around $65 a night and up.

You said Western caribbe as well, so...If the airfare was free, I would be at CoCoView every other month.

$800-$1000 rack rate, that includes everything form stepping off the plane and up to the exit a week later at Customs. 3 Meals, 2 boat dives x 2 tanks each day. Unlimited great shore dive and perfect night dive. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

No party crowd, no throbbing bars, no phony island "culture". Just shut up and dive.

Back
Top Bottom