Charter suggestion for Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChiDiver77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all

Wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good charter for the Siegel Grove. Specifically - looking for a charter that is pretty consistent (conditions permitting) about doing the dive site that they advertise the trip to be.

No negativity about any charters, but my experience for my last 4-5 trips to the keys has been that the deep dive trips I book end up being changed to shallow reefs b/c they have students on board. Completely understand these are tough times and they need to change their charters to where they can fill them. I just keep trying to do this dive…and doing 20ft reef dives instead.

Any time underwater is a good time - but would really like to dive the SG when I am back down later this month - and I have limited windows to be able to do it.

Appreciate any recommendations!
JB

I haven't done the SG, but if I was signed up to do so and it "switched" to a 20' reef, I'd be pretty upset. At 5 times I'd be postal.

Horizon Divers has a deep boat and a shallow boat. And the deep boat almost always goes to the SG, and does a double dip or allow tech divers to do a single deco dive.

Horizon Divers has a deep boat and a shallow boat. And the deep boat almost always goes to the SG, and does a double dip or allow tech divers to do a single deco dive.

Horizon Divers deep boat would be my recommendation as well.

Another option is a smaller boat like Quiescense if you have enough people to fill the boat. It will then go wherever you want as conditions allow.

Not much more to add but +1 for Horizon Divers.
Horizon Divers has regularly scheduled double dips on the Spiegel Grove. They have 3 boats and usually one of them is almost always going to the Spiegel for teaching classes/guiding.

Thanks, all! Will give Horizon a try. Much appreciated.
JB
Please do report back and let us know... I've only heard good things about them, but Quiescence has never done me wrong... good luck!

I haven't done the SG, but if I was signed up to do so and it "switched" to a 20' reef, I'd be pretty upset. At 5 times I'd be postal.
Yeah - I like the crew and am trying to be understanding…but when I sign up for a deep wreck - that’s b/c it’s what I want to do!

Weather and current should be the only issue in changing that dive site. No “bait & switch” thank you…

Yeah - I like the crew and am trying to be understanding…but when I sign up for a deep wreck - that’s b/c it’s what I want to do!

I'm pretty much in agreement with @k4kafka on this. If I sign up and pay for a deep dive, I expect a deep dive. If conditions won't allow it, that is one thing. But to shift the charter to a shallow dive just because it serves the needs of the operator (ie due to OW students), that is unacceptable. I'm a paying customer who purchased a product (deep dive). That is what I expect as long as it can be done safely.

With that said, I'm curious what the fine print states on their charter booking. They may have fine print that allows them to do this legally. However, I still find it deceptive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom