Channel migrants: man in flippers attempts channel swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my flippers! It amazes me that people have such a hard time with that word.

Flippers are on pin ball machines, fins are on feet. :)

He's a pin ball wizard
There has got to be a twist
A pin ball wizard,
S'got such a supple wrist

:dork2:

Classic!

There have been half a dozen or so national standards for the manufacture and testing of fins. Those published outside the English-speaking world come with an official English translation of their title. German Standard DIN 7876 of 1988, entitled Tauchzubehör. Schwimmflossen. Maße, Anforderungen und Prüfung in German, has the English subtitle Diving accessories for skin divers. Flippers. Dimensions, requirements and testing. Soviet / Commonwealth of Independent States Standard of 1977 Ласты резиновые для плавания. Общие технические условия in Russian is subtitled Swimming rubber flippers. General specifications in English. The US military specification MIL-S-82258 of 1965 on fins refers to their blades as "flippers".

The use of the alternative term "flippers" for "diving fins" goes right back to the earliest days of "skin and scuba diving". Are the prescriptive linguists here suggesting that this popular 1961 diving book should now be retitled?
51OFmaYd47L._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Diving isn't alone in having its share of language purists. I expect plenty of art historians will wince when they hear divers using the term "deco" to shorten the word "decompression" and "Hogarthian" when they are referring to William Hogarth Main. The use of the terms "deco" and "Hogarthian" in the history of art long precedes its use in diving and references "Art Deco" in the case of the Chrysler Building:
386px-Chrysler_Building_1_%284684845155%29.jpg

As for the adjective "Hogarthian", art aficionados are likelier to be referring to the works of English painter, satirist and cartoonist William Hogarth (1697-1764):
1024px-The_Rake%27s_Progress_8.jpg

Flippers. Dimensions, requirements and testing. Soviet / Commonwealth of Independent States Standard of 1977 Ласты резиновые для плавания. Общие технические условия in Russian is subtitled Swimming rubber flippers. General specifications in English.

Nitpick of the day (and I'm sure I've commented on this once before): what's lost in translation here is that Russian mammals all have ласты so the term is used consistently; it is плавники -- fins -- that is incorrect. English just has it back-**swards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom