Changing kind of neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My drysuit currently has a neoprene neck seal. This makes it a not-so-dry suit. Especially if I want to :shakehead: move my head during a dive.

Does anyone know the difficulties involved in converting this neck seal to a latex seal? Can a latex neck seal be glued on and the neoprene be cut out?

I have installed 2 sets of latex wrist seals, and one latex neck seal.

Thanks.

I've used neoprene neck seals for years and they are very dry with a lot of mobility. It is possible to snug up the neoprene seal without replacing it.

The best person to answer your question because he does it a lot is gamblescuba.com

Are you asking if it's possible to change the seals, period, or is it possible for YOU to change the seals?

It's definitely possible. Whether you can do it or not is another question. There are several well-respected drysuit repair companies that can make the change (plus the manufacturer can, also), or you can pick up the Airspeed Press book on drysuit repair and attempt it yourself... depending on how handy you are and how much of a gambler you are. :wink:

CompuDude:
Are you asking if it's possible to change the seals, period, or is it possible for YOU to change the seals?

It's definitely possible. Whether you can do it or not is another question. There are several well-respected drysuit repair companies that can make the change (plus the manufacturer can, also), or you can pick up the Airspeed Press book on drysuit repair and attempt it yourself... depending on how handy you are and how much of a gambler you are. :wink:

I have the airspeed press book and have done my own wrist cuffs. I could probably do a neck. I talked to a guy that told me how to tighten the neck, so I am going to try that.

Im wondering if its possible to trim down a neoprene neck seal and glue a (non-bellows) latex neckseal onto the trimmed down neoprene.

The diameters would have to line up though.

Just a thought that may save having to completely remove a neoprene gasket and do a ton of sanding.

It would be nice if they had such a replacement seal or if it was possible.

ScubaSarus:
Im wondering if its possible to trim down a neoprene neck seal and glue a (non-bellows) latex neckseal onto the trimmed down neoprene.

The diameters would have to line up though.

Just a thought that may save having to completely remove a neoprene gasket and do a ton of sanding.

It would be nice if they had such a replacement seal or if it was possible.
It has to fit rather exactly which is why you usually do that kind of switch using a latex yoke where there's lots of overlap.

Back
Top Bottom