Changing hoses on Hog Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading a lot on the forum, there seemed to be a reasonable amount of talk about rec. divers going towards a longer hose from the primary to the secondary. Some people felt that 7' may be too long, and 5' may be a good length. So I ordered a 5' hose with my Edge/HOG reg. It hasn't arrived yet so I decided to take a 5' vinyl tape measure and measure from the back of my neck, under my arm, around the back of my head to the right side of my mouth. Perhaps that's not how I should be running it, but I don't think it's going to be long enough if that is the correct path. Can someone shed some light on whether I'm routing a 5' hose properly or not. Thanks.

Ed

The main reason divers started using longer hoses was to facilitate air sharing in restricted environments where the divers cannot exit side by side but single file. If you plan to dive is such environments I would wait for the training and have the instructor help fit you decide on hose length depending on your equipment configuration. An alternative for you maybe what another poster mentioned above about using a longer hose routed under your arm. Sherwood used this configuration for the Maximus regulator and Dive Rite is recommending it.

Here is how you route the hose if you are trying to use a 5-7 ft hose. Going from 1st sage to 2nd stage: from 1st stage under your right arm, then from under right arm (now in front of body) to top left shoulder, go over your shoulder and behind your neck which will make the hose going from left to right then continue to wrap around your neck so it at your mouth... Hopefully this helps. You can also use this website: http://www.frogkickdiving.com/Single_Reg_Configuration.php

I have sold more than a few set ups with the 6 ft hose. Works great for bigger people who don't want to dive a 7 and we feel that a 5 may be too short.

Im just 5'7" and 53kgs but still found the 5' too short. Jim do you sell braided 6' hoses? nowhere I usually buy from stocks them. Cheers.

Sorry, I do not. I don't recommend nor can I get braided hoses longer than 40 inches from my supplier, HOG/Edge. They are too floaty, tend to take a set after being coiled for any amount of time, and myself and others think they feel like sandpaper on the back of your neck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I am 6 ft tall 175 ish, went with the 7ft. My wife is 5'6 118 lbs, went for the 5 ft. She is happy with her length. I am happy with mine. I could not imagine using a 5' hose, would me crazy short. I would have to skip the at my waist part of hose routing.

Back
Top Bottom