Changing from an Air 2 back to an Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesus-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have a sherwood intergraded octo. I recently purchased a HOG doubles set up. I don't dive doubles at this time so I wanted to use the extra 2nd stage for an alternate air source (octo ). I am changing to a hosed octo Because I think it is easier and safer to use than the intergraded octo. Some may not agree with that which is cool, it is just my preference. My question to the more experianced divers is...do you see any issues with keeping the sherwood intergraded octo on my bc as the inflater? I have been using intergraded inflaters since I started diving and I am used to the bigger buttons. Do any of you see any down side to keeping it or should I switch over to a standard BC inflater?
I really don't see any reason to switch other than the reg part of the octo being another thing that could fail.

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated
Thank you

Drop the integrated octo and replace with a standard inflator and eliminate the failure point. In your post you state you switched because it is safer. Do you really need three regulators? If it is safer to switch why keep it? It seems like you answered your own question.

I don't see any problem with keeping it. It does require service, like any other regulator, though and has a small risk of freeflow. If you're used to it and like it, keep it.

Usually the integrated octos are maybe double the size and weight of a std inflator so you could eliminate some bulk I guess. I think in a couple of dives you'd be use to the new smaller buttons. Having said that I love my AIR II and wouldn't dive any other way.

I would swap out the octo/inflator combo to a stadard inflactor just for better compatibility with standard inflator hose. With the propietary octo/inflator hose, you reg basically has to go with that BC or BC with similar octo/inflator, which is far less common than BC with standard inflator. So you are far more flexible if you need to borrow a BC or let a friend use your reg.

Thank you all for responding, I think I will be switching to the standard inflater, I'll get rid of a little bulk, reduce possible freeflow, I can't imagine needing three regs, and as for the compatibility with hoses....I always keep an extra standard and an extra air2 hose in the save a dive kit :wink:.

Thanks again and I'm always thankful for this website, GOD only knows how many lives have been saved through these forums.
Dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom