Changing Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RP Diver

Reaction score
This incident happened on a live-aboard trip out of La Paz, Baja Sur, Mexico. We were diving at a site known as El Bajo (The Shallow). It is a sea mount about 5 miles from the nearest land, and the bottom consists of 3 peaks that reach to about 60 feet from the surface. At about 160 feet there is a large, flat plateau on the north side of the peaks, which gives a good reference, but is unreachable for normal diving. On the south side of the peaks, the bottom rapidly drops off into the depths. The big attractions here are huge schools of fish ( jacks and others), and a decent opportunity to see schooling hammerheads. We were planning on 2 dives here that day.

The first dive went very well, minimal current, reasonable (80-100 ft) visibility. The sea mounts are packed with large green morays, and the schools of fish are everywhere. To see the sharks you swim out to the edges of the shallow, just out of sight of the sea mounts themselves, but still within sight of the deeper bottom. You hang in mid water and wait, and hope. On this day we were amply rewarded with dozens of hammerheads, mostly just drifting in and out of visual range, with one occasionally coming over for a closer look. It was one of those dives where you come back to the boat just bubbling with excitement, barely able to stand the SI wait for the next dive. During the 2 hours of SI time, the wind shifted to the north, and the seas picked up a bit... not yet unmanageable, but something to be concerned about. The crew checked the current, which had picked up from north to south, and was becoming more of a factor. The small boats took us about 150 yards upcurrent from the sea mounts and we rolled off and dropped quickly to 80 feet. Looking at the plateau 80 feet below, we knew we were really moving... the strongest current any of us had dived in. With me in the lead, we turned to quarter into it and kicked steadily, trying to keep our compass bearing and drift toward the peaks and the anchor. It seemed to take longer than it should, but exhausted and getting low on air we hit our mark perfectly. And as a reward, just as we got to the middle peak, a large hammerhead swam under us, and up the rock face in front of us no more than 20 feet away. I made all the work worthwhile. By this time the seas were about 10 feet and the current was fierce, and getting back on board the boat was a challenge. It took an act of faith to let go of the anchor line and drift the 120 feet back to the safety line on the back of the boat.

It wasn't until we were all safely back on board that we found out that a second group of 6 divers had been dropped off after us, and nobody had seen them since. They were lead by a certified divemaster, a man who had been in my class, and who was far more experienced as a diver than I was. But he made a nearly fatal error in judgement. Apparently he was not aware of just how strong the current was. When they had dropped down to 80 ft, they could not see the bottom (which should have been an urgent warning signal), so they just hung out waiting for something to happen, instead of immediately returning to the surface. By the time they decided that something was wrong, they were almost a mile away, low on air, and getting farther every minute. They surfaced in high waves and no boat in sight. Two of them had sausages, but they were of no help under those conditions.

Two things saved them. The expertise of the crew members who manned the pongas (the small outboards) and the fact that one of the divers had a whistle. Even with binoculars from the main boat, we could barely see the pongas when they crested a wave, and they had little chance of seeing 6 divers bobbing around the sea. But Luis knows the currents there, knew the general area to search, and he would stop the motor every couple of minutes to listen. Finally, he heard Deanna blowing her whistle, and was able to home in on that, make a difficult pickup, and struggle back to the boat, threatening to be swamped all the way. In all, it was well over an hour that the group of divers was out of touch.

It shows that 2 brief hours can be the difference between an easy and exciting shark viewing dive, and a dive under extreme conditions that puts your life on the line.

When in currents there should ALWAYS be a zodiac waiting down current from the main vessel during the entire dive (equiped with extra air, various life-saftey devices, and a line). The pilot of the zodiac, DM rated, needs to be in constant contact with the main vessel via VHF, and should only be recalled after all divers are accounted for and aboard.

BigboyDan:
When in currents there should ALWAYS be a zodiac waiting down current from the main vessel during the entire dive (equiped with extra air, various life-saftey devices, and a line). The pilot of the zodiac, DM rated, needs to be in constant contact with the main vessel via VHF, and should only be recalled after all divers are accounted for and aboard.

These weren't zodiacs... just open boats with outboards. And they were in the water all the time, but there was no possible way to see bubbles on the surface as the conditions continued to worsen. And the fact that nobody was seen on the surface made them think, reasonably so, that the second group was on the downcurrent side of the seamount, but in its shelter. It is unimaginable to me that an experienced diver would just drift out into the open ocean for 30 minutes like that with 5 other divers in tow, with no point of reference, no clue where he was. The guy is now an instructor, and I hope he takes better care of his students than he did of that group of divers. Although I admit that they shoud have taken some of the responsibility themselves, he was by far the most experienced and they figured that if he wasn't concerned, then it must be ok.

I'm not learning, what was the second group of divers suppose to do?
Group 1 drifted but kicked a quarter into the current.
Group 2 just drifted
Rescue boat eventually finds them in prgressive deteriating dive conditions.
Was this the first day of diving? I dont see how this leader was suppose to respond. Can you help?

phlee:
I dont see how this leader was suppose to respond. Can you help?
Keep in mind that the 2nd group had broken the dive plan by drifting off to an area other than the intended dive site.

Since the dive leader knew that he was drifting away from the expected area, in poor surface conditions, he should have at least sent up a surface marker buoy, and most probably should have aborted the dive and have the group surface.

It's always much easier to analyze incidents after the fact than to respond in real time with the proper action. :wink: But by looking at the mistakes of others, perhaps we will avoid repeating them.

phlee:
I'm not learning, what was the second group of divers suppose to do?
Group 1 drifted but kicked a quarter into the current.
Group 2 just drifted
Rescue boat eventually finds them in prgressive deteriating dive conditions.
Was this the first day of diving? I dont see how this leader was suppose to respond. Can you help?

This dive was actually near the end of the trip, and it was our 3rd dive at this site, second dive that day. I was leading the first group. We could always see the bottom, which told us that we were still up current from the anchor line and the boat, thus in familiar territory. If the bottom had dropped away before we saw the boat, we would have immediately surfaced for pickup, as the next stop is Cabo San Lucas, about 80 miles south. :11: Once past the sea mount, the bottom drops off more than 1000 feet, and it should be obvious that it's time to abort the dive.

Edit: Just checked my log book for that dive. My max depth was 85 feet and we were down for 40 minutes of hard work on that one. It was my 156th dive, on Nov 4, 1994. The bottom was about as far below us as we were below the surface, but it was clearly visible. When we got to the center peak of the sea mount we had to ascend slightly to clear it at 60 feet, and that's when we also saw the big hammerhead. We did our safety stop like flags flapping from the anchor line, then drifted to the back of the boat to exit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom