Changing BCD change weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a new to me BCD. Replaced my old faithful aeris sport with a gently used oceanic excursion. Will there be big weight change needed?

Likely. Take about 4 pounds in addition to the weight of the plate off of your weight belt.

There's likely 4-5 pounds of buoyancy in the padding of your old BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

From what I can see on product information on the internet you should probably just need to do a weight check and be mindful that you are switching from a jacket to back inflate BCD. Also, just a friendly reminder, if you are using new equipment make sure to change one piece at a time and make your first dive with it a fairly simple one until you get the hang of it. Better yet, test it in a pool or on the shore first (if you can).

Possibly. Scuba Dive Magazine sometimes includes inherent buoyancy ratings when doing BC reviews. Basically it is the tendency of the BC to float. Negative or neutral ratings you would not have to change your rating. If you had a positive rating of say 2 lbs., then you would have to add 2 lbs. to your normal weights just to offset the inherent buoyancy of the BC. Standard weight check with your first dive should be fine.

You can wight check the bcds in a pool. Lt them get good and wet, then weight it each for neutral buoyancy and compare the weight needed. It will only take a couple of minute and tell you the equipment related difference in buoyancy.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom