Changes in DIR Philosophy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I'm curious... I think it was brought up in another thread or I maybe read it in the Fundies book, but a diver needs to wear a black silicone mask as part of his gear. May or may not be true, that is not my question. How would you, as a community of DIR divers change the DIR philosophy such that another piece of equipment is considered?

Do you need to wait for George or JJ to decide, do you debate it in forums other than here (debate is not allowed) or do you wait for the next edition of a text book to appear?

Thanks in advance.

Like I said, its not about the mask. How do changes get made in DIR or will DIR divers look the exact same in 100 years?

You're looking for some Council of Trent-esque board of pasty, skinny vegans from on high, dispesing this years version of what is DIR and what is not. Is that the deal? A crowd gathering, looking for white smoke for the X-Scooter? That kinda thing?

Past winners include:

* Inflator hose on the INSIDE of the left D-ring Bungee... not on the outside (yet still under the rubber band keeper thingys...)

* Light cord now over the long hose. It was under. Then over. I belive this year is over. (insert sound of kah-nigg-itt flying off bridge...)

* Rock bottom for the new e8 Series is XXX. (it was XXX- 3.14764840... but it got changed. We think. Still waiting for Rock Bottom on those wack Worthington cans... I think.)

Are you asking who do you lobby to to get your split fins back on the ballot? Who do you write to so you can put the wet notes in the left pocket instead of the right? Is the Snorkle lobby rising up again? (friggen Laguna people...)

This stuff gets to wacky, I won't follow it any more.

Maybe because I'm a SoCal, and we're too busy being laid back, working on our tan (in February), pulling chicks and actually, you know, DIVING to keep up with how DIR our DIRness is this season.

I don't get it. I mean, you have a legit question, but I gotta throw out a SoCal "whatever...."

---
Ken

PS: Gotta love "DIR Philosophy"... one of my very favs that just keeps making the rounds. Is there a SSI Philosophy? A PADI Philosophy? A TDI Philosophy? An LMNO Philosophy? Curious... Philosophy.... you're killing me.

Divers, DIR or not, will innovate and perhaps tweak things or incorporate different or new pieces of gear. These things will be slowly adopted by the major players who do the real dives if it is a worthy idea and it becomes apparent very quickly if it doesn't work. If it turns out to be superior to how it was done previously, it will trickle down from those guys to us, basically :wink:

The "answer" is that the real guys doing the "real" dives way up the food chain from us are the ones who try things and decide.

Mo2vation:
Past winners include:

* Inflator hose on the INSIDE of the left D-ring Bungee... not on the outside (yet still under the rubber band keeper thingys...)

* Light cord now over the long hose. It was under. Then over. I belive this year is over. (insert sound of kah-nigg-itt flying off bridge...)

Actually, these two were changes to the system that were temporarily tried but eventually ruled a bad idea.

RTodd:
Actually, these two were changes to the system that were temporarily tried but eventually ruled a bad idea.

Who can keep up, and who really cares? I mean, please. I'm confident an order-of-magnitude change may come along in the next decade that will actually matter to those of us who are (the few, the proud) GUE Open Water Weenies. Goodness knows I can't imagine what it will be at the moment.

Most of these 11th and 12th commandment stuff that comes down is just silly stuff aimed for the Florida Elite. And I get it. Where the stakes are higher, the margin of error is narrower and the nights are longer than moonshine...

But I'm a simple guy, diving a simple rig in simple open water conditions. To reach for the grain of sand on my buddy's BackPlate when I got 27 feet of Kelp hanging off of mine is just wacky.

Plus, to keep up with these MAJOR changes would mean I'd have to lurk on all those screamer DIR boards - Quest and all their clones. Who has time for that. That crapola is pretty unreadable. I haven't been there since before Fundies.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Who can keep up, and who really cares? I mean, please. I'm confident an order-of-magnitude change may come along in the next decade that will actually matter to those of us who are (the few, the proud) GUE Open Water Weenies. Goodness knows I can't imagine what it will be at the moment.

lol.... i figure it it's important enough, JJ will write another book

til then... hey, why sweat the small stuff?

H2Andy:
lol.... i figure it it's important enough, JJ will write another book

til then... hey, why sweat the small stuff?

If its robust enough to be of concern, it will be in his next tome. :wink:

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom