Changes at Twin Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Beast and I went to the lake today so he could try out his new drysuit. From the gate we could tell something was different on Swampers Point. When we turned the corner we could tell what it was....no trees! Yep. The county or city (we couldn't figure out which) came in one day this week and cut down most of the trees supposedly for being too close to the power lines.

For whatever reason we'll have little shade this summer so you Southern Swampers, be on the lookout for a nice canopy!

Water was a brisk 58º

Couldn't they just trim them some, instead of cutting them all completely down?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I think Mike has pissed off someone on the city council and this is the retaliation....No tree cutting took place beyond his property line. But we only haver the story from the girl who works there, didn't see Mike yesterday to ask him personally. But for whatever reason, the trees are gone. ;( The biggest concern we have is if the 'officials' decide that we're parking on the right of way, we'll have to start parking in one place and walk several hundred yards to the various staging areas and dock sites. I suppose we'll see what spring brings!

Sounds like something petty a city would do... How did Beast like the drysuit?

chrispete:
Sounds like something petty a city would do... How did Beast like the drysuit?

He really likes it! Water was 59º and he had on a polartech and a pair of sweats/sweat shirt. He came out sweating! He's gettin the bugs worked out, I think he's gonna like it. He's already saying he won't go back to wetsuits!

heh, I was wondering how long it would take for him to get one. If he needs something to put over the polartec that won't add too much airspace and will wick away the moisture, have him go to GI Surplus (or the equivalent there) and look for the polypropelene (sp?) military thermals/hunting suits (they have a shiny black outside, fleece-like inside, are rather thin, but they have great insulative value. That'll help him from getting too much air trapped in his garments, but then again, he does sink like a rock anyway so he may need the extra air :wink:

Won a drysuit class at Gigglin Marlin Holiday party which was held at a bar on Shepherd. I do not anticipate buying a drysuit any time soon or having a use for this class. If someone on board in Houston seriously wants to take drysuit class, PM me and i will be glad to give them the certificate. Gigglin Marlin is at corner of Richmond and Greenbriar.

Thanks Mark. I'll tell Beast about your offer.

Merry Christmas!

Dee:
The county or city (we couldn't figure out which) came in one day this week and cut down most of the trees supposedly for being too close to the power lines.

You should contact the entity that cut down the trees and advise them that there could be a liability problem. People are liable to get sunburnt.

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom