Change second stage cap color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starskipper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are my options if I want to change the color of my octopus diaphragm cover? It's currently orange; I want to make it yellow.
Paint? Dye? Stickers/decals? (Cast/mold a replacement?)
I can think of a couple of naive options, but I suppose what I'm really asking is what would actually survive the kind of beating and environmental exposure that regs go through? Not to mention avoid poisoning myself or the fishies in the process.
I have nothing against orange, it's just that, as it happens, a lot of my other gear is orange too (e.g. SMB), so I feel that the octopus doesn't stand out enough.
Before you ask, no, I have no idea what the specific polymer it's made of is. :-/

Instead of painting, which is troublesome, look in vinyl wrapping the exterior of the plastic cup...
Works great on some parts of motorcycles or equipment (such as the helmet, mudguards, etc, were any painting does not last long)...

Not knowing the make/model makes it difficult to give a good answer. General answers though (if OEM doesn't already sell one) - Molding a new one out of silicone is an option. I would avoid painting, just due to the likelihood of it flaking off due to flexing. Plastidip may be an option with a thorough cleaning and scuffing for prep. I have 3d printed a couple of purge covers in TPU that are working well (again, make and model are critical details here).
Respectfully,
James

The model is TUSA Imprex. It's discontinued, so the OEM won't be of any help. This is an old set I use just for experimenting, learning about servicing, DIY dabbling, and that sort of thing.

It looks like this: TUSA Imprex

knowing the close connection between Tusa and Scubapro, i would bet the cover of a R190 would fit...
your original orange is nice though:)

the orange is cool. I wouldn't muck around with it by doing anything permanent. Maybe the vinyl wrap would work. doesn't look like too complex a part to cover...

UV cured powder coating would probably work. Unfortunately I'm not sure where to buy UV cure powder directly. Lots of powder coat shops will sell it to you as a "service" though.

Edit: It just occurred to me. You can get UV cure liquid paint sold as fingernail polish. If you don't already have a UV light, you'll have to pick one up. I think my wife has a bunch.. I may have to go "borrow" some for experimentation. The nail polish is a liquid of some sort, but there are UV curable paint powders that exist as well. I just don't know where to buy the powders. The nail polish is on amazon or probably just about anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom