Change from elbow joint to rapid exhaust valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...or you can learn to dive old school with no BC, then this entire discussion becomes moot.
Just sayin’
BCDs are a safety device that is mandatory for every diver.
"old school with no BCD" is like driving without safety belt, no ABS, no Air bag and so on.

Argentina may have such laws, the USA dosent even have a law that requires scuba training or certification.

"old school with no BCD" is like driving without safety belt, no ABS, no Air bag and so on.

When I dove prior to the invention of the BC, I had emergency floatation which could be inflated by use of a CO2 cartridge or oral inflation through a modified tire valve, which would cover the devices you mentioned. If looked at a different way, a BC allows unskilled divers to have a false sense of security in their abilities.

I wouldn't advise anyone start diving that way without knowing what they are doing, but I've run across more than a few that didn't know what they were doing with a BC, and a c-card.

Bob

Right.
You better tell these guys then:
Gallery of California Backpack Divers : 1999-2001

I guess there was no legit diving prior to the invention of the BC since it’s “mandatory for every diver”.

Motorcycles don’t have safety belts airbags ABS either, and in Hawaii you’re even allowed to ride with no helmet. Old hot rods and classic cars don’t have any of that stuff either and they seem to go down the road OK?

Right.
You better tell these guys then:
Gallery of California Backpack Divers : 1999-2001

I guess there was no legit diving prior to the invention of the BC since it’s “mandatory for every diver”.

Motorcycles don’t have safety belts airbags ABS either, and in Hawaii you’re even allowed to ride with no helmet. Old hot rods and classic cars don’t have any of that stuff either and they seem to go down the road OK?

Until they don't. I have known a lot of motorcyclists over the years, and almost every one of them has been pretty seriously injured when their bike went down at some point in their riding days. Unfortunately, my daughter, who is a Physical Therapist, has to deal with the aftermath of those types of bike accidents. The coroner usually has to take care of the ones not wearing helmets. Until recently I had a '61 Corvette, which I loved to drive, but was fully aware that every time I took it for a drive, I knew I was likely going to get hurt if I was in an accident. As far as diving is concerned, I learned to dive in 1965 without a bcd, and probably still could if I had to, but I certainly would not want to got back to that configuration as standard diving practice.

Until they don't. I have known a lot of motorcyclists over the years, and almost every one of them has been pretty seriously injured when their bike went down at some point in their riding days. Unfortunately, my daughter, who is a Physical Therapist, has to deal with the aftermath of those types of bike accidents. The coroner usually has to take care of the ones not wearing helmets. Until recently I had a '61 Corvette, which I loved to drive, but was fully aware that every time I took it for a drive, I knew I was likely going to get hurt if I was in an accident. As far as diving is concerned, I learned to dive in 1965 without a bcd, and probably still could if I had to, but I certainly would not want to got back to that configuration as standard diving practice.
Yes, but the point is you DID dive in 1965 with no BCD and at that time it was standard protocol, and you probably thought nothing of it. So the point is, yes it can be done, it was done, and it continues to be done today by individuals who have reasons for diving that way and who are very aware of the potential dangers, but they have made a decision to do it anyway, just like drivers of ‘61 corvettes and motorcyclists with or without helmets.
It’s a free world.

Back
Top Bottom