Change from elbow joint to rapid exhaust valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there!

It would be my first question here, didn’t find any answer on the net, so I try it here. :)

I starting to buy my equipment and got a question about BP/W. (I’m aiming for recreational diving, nothing too technical. :wink: )
Is it possible to change a simple elbow joint on a corrugated hose to rapid exhaust valve on a wing?
Or only for a few wings? Is that secure enough?
I bought a Custom Divers wing with this feature, thinking it would be more like a BCD which has a shoulder dump. It turns out it is not very useful, in particular I found little mechanical feedback that it was opening.

As pointed out above the answer is to be flat and use the hip dump. Descending feet first is an awful thing, it encourages finning to adjust buoyancy and leads to the bottom being kicked up or divers already below being kicked.

You’re going to give the “purists” here heartburn and make them hyperventilate by even daring to suggest such a thing! Lol

If you want one, Trident makes a generic version available through any dive shop. It will come complete ready to install. They would probably need to order it for you.

I’m not going to tell you what gear to use or how to dive because that’s none of my business.

I've changed them before. It's not rocket surgery. Just make sure the cable from the valve to the wrist pin in the inflator/deflator assembly is the correct length. Test it's function a few times before using it.

Would this be the time to tell the OP that one of my buddies put an Air 2 on his Oxycheq wing, and @Eric Sedletzky might be interested to know its mounted on a Freedom plate.

Dive and let dive.

Bob
What gear choices people make are their business, but at least in this case the person has good taste in backplates :wink:

There is no reason one cannot install a rapid pull dump on the inflator hose for a wing. But it is a crutch and develops bad habits and is a small complication. I know the abc agencies all teach a feet first, butt first descent and entry with a full or partially inflated BC and thus it is easier to initiate such a descent by venting from the inflator or rapid dump.

You do not need a full BC at entry, you can easily initiate a descent while in a vertical position on the surface by slightly raising the inflator hose to vent and then as soon as you get submerged get into a horizontal swimming position. At which point, since a wing normally assists a horizontal swimming position, the rear (butt) dump is the primary dump, not the inflator hose, for the remainder of the dive.

N

I tried pulling one off a Scubapro BCD to put on a Dive Rite wing. The threads were different. The Dive Gear Express shoulder dump did work and I still use it today....with an Air 2 no less. Set your gear up how it works best for you....as long as you don't dive split fins!! Lol.

The point is, there are at least two thread types on the shoulder dump flanges.

Happy New Year!
Jay

The point is, there are at least two thread types on the shoulder dump flanges.
There are several more. At least I account for 7 different threads and layouts.
Mares, Seaquest, DiveRite, Zeagle, Aquatec, HOG, Omersub.

I do not teach in my classes the use of the rapid shoulder valve. It's use produces a lot of stress to the BCD flange. The use of the right shoulder vent valve is better.

There is no reason one cannot install a rapid pull dump on the inflator hose for a wing. But it is a crutch and develops bad habits and is a small complication.

Without the use of an Air 2, or one of its clones, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to install one.

I do not teach in my classes the use of the rapid shoulder valve. It's use produces a lot of stress to the BCD flange.

If used properly, it should give the same stress as the butt dump. If one thinks they can get it more than fully open if they pull even harder, they might get their wish. One can also produce a lot of stress on the butt dump if one pulls too hard. Its all under the heading of know your equipment and use it properly.

Bob

If used properly, it should give the same stress as the butt dump. If one thinks they can get it more than fully open if they pull even harder, they might get their wish. One can also produce a lot of stress on the butt dump if one pulls too hard. Its all under the heading of know your equipment and use it properly.
Bob

Students do not have own gear, they are learning how to use the equipment. Some are good and learn fast, some are average and learn at their own pace, some are dumb, brute and with little self control. They will have time to learn that there is a valve there and we will save maintenance costs.

Back
Top Bottom