Chance of seeing whale sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lora9753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Scuba board,

I will be doing a liveaboard from March 9th-13th in the Simmilians. Do you think we will have a good chance to see whale sharks or Mantas? How about other sharks? Also when is the bio-luminescent plankton are in bloom?

Thanks, I am getting very excited about this trip!

Hi

I just finished a 5 day Similans liveaboard at the end of January.
Do you think we will have a good chance to see whale sharks or Mantas?

Manta's were around but I wasn't lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. I didn't hear any reports of whale sharks, but it is still early in the season, it may well have changed, since I was there.

How about other sharks?
I saw one blacktip, but not when I was diving.

Not sure if that helps.

I had a great time, saw plenty of stuff including turtles, dolphins, octopie, cuttlefish, schools of squid, a few nudi's, sponge snail, ornate ghost pipefish, ribbon eels. Lots of stuff to see. :)

I started diving in the Andaman Sea in 1989 and did so fairly consistently since then. I didn't see a whale shark until 2012. If your goal is to see something specific, then you're likely to be disappointed. Better to enjoy what you do see and use the time to develop your skills a bit.

first trip Feb 2014, did DSD, went back to Koh Lanta May 2014 to complete OW, on lifetime #11 dive, saw a whale shark... lucky... hope we see another this coming week

Perhaps I should add that my wife saw whale sharks (3 or 4) on her second liveaboard….

[video=youtube_share;K27qVRUUEW4]http://youtu.be/K27qVRUUEW4[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom