Cetacean Hot Zone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer:
huh...it seems that everyone is going off on tangent. What I am refering to is the usually cetaceans that you dont' normally see. Like beaked whales, melon-head whales, Bryde's whale, darwf and pygmy sperm whales. Also false killer whales (really a dolphin), risso's dolphins...these are what I am referring to.

Lock
try antarctica... i have not heard any of that for PI

shugar:
oh yeah, that's right... you haven't dived with me and chip yet...

Jag
hey hey, leave me out of this! :p

But all the fishermen in the Batangas Passage always report dolphin pod sightings. I even got the chance to see them heading back from Verde Island. The problem is that they are very shy compared to other areas of the PI and the world.

Well all I can say is the Phillippines have unique Cetaceans in its waters. The chance see them there is something that you don't have an chance to see in a lot of other places.

Lock

lock_washer:
huh...it seems that everyone is going off on tangent. What I am refering to is the usually cetaceans that you dont' normally see. Like beaked whales, melon-head whales, Bryde's whale, darwf and pygmy sperm whales. Also false killer whales (really a dolphin), risso's dolphins...these are what I am referring to.

Lock

That should be the area near the sulu sea or the visayas area in general and more specifically the area between negros and cebu (dumaguete or bais town in negros oriental) down to the north coastline of the mindanao region. The east coastline of Palawan island and the Verde Passage are identified as well.

there are whale watching and dolphin watching tour operators in the dumaguete and bais area. A report by WWF lists the cetaceans you mentioned along with many others to be "possibly" present in the area. However considering the fishing and hunting that has been happening in that area I doubt the existence.

Well guys...I think we have talked this one into the ground.

Thanks for the input.

Lock

Batbatan Island, Mararison Island and Maniguin Island (REGON VI) in the municipality of Culasi have several species of Cetacean native to the area. If you hit it just right you can get a trifecta - WHALE SHARK, HAMMERHEAD SHARK, DOLPHINS all in the same dive. Live is good.

Babydamulag:
Batbatan Island, Mararison Island and Maniguin Island (REGON VI) in the municipality of Culasi have several species of Cetacean native to the area. If you hit it just right you can get a trifecta - WHALE SHARK, HAMMERHEAD SHARK, DOLPHINS all in the same dive. Live is good.

ah you're teasing us Baby D... that would indeed be an impressive trifecta for a dive!!!

No kidding....I think it can be done though. We had a close call last May. We got the HAMMERHEAD AND DOLPHIN in one dive. Had to go on pure O2 afterwards......whew...awesome.

Back
Top Bottom