Certified at last!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terfmop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a weekend up at Haigh Quarry, I am now a certified OW diver :D. I performed all the required skills (i.e. clear mask, out-of-air scenario, CESA from 20', compass nav., tired diver swim, etc.., etc...) The things that I was most critical of myself, were buoyancy skills, buddy awareness, and horrendous free throw shooting skills.

As I was rounding a large rock crusher (in ~20') I noticed I was slowly ascending as my BC had too much air and my tank was getting lighter(it was towards the end of the dive). I was fumbling for my rear dump valve while at the same time trying to swim downward, I imagine the sight would've been similar to a sea lion having a stroke.

During the dives, I tended to swim faster than my buddy. I was good at always checking for him, although there were a few times where he was further away than I would've liked at the time I checked. In those instances, I thought to myself, "would he or I be close enough to each other if an OOA occured." At each phase of a particular dive (e.g. at the end of the compass navigation), I checked my air and always asked him how much air he had. But I should've slowed down on my swimming speed to allow him to stay near.

Remember the free-throw shooting comment above? Well, I do have another story that occurred at the start of the first dive of the weekend. On our very first descent down to a 20' platform, we all lined up around the perimeter of the platform. My instructor was being assisted by 3 divemasters. My instructor found a bowling ball just below the platform and he let us toss it around to each other several times. It was kinda cool to watch a heavy bowling ball move in slow motion after i threw it to another student. Then I got to thinking :)shakehead). "I'd like to try a longer throw(imagining a longer, slow, graceful arc into the hands of the catcher)." Well, I signal to my intended recipient as well as one of the DMs that was just off to my right about 5' away. Both the DM and fellow student acknowledge my intent and the DM backed away accordingly just to be safe. Well, I learned very quickly that dive gloves just do not afford the same dexterity as bare hands. As I went to throw, the ball slid off the right side of my hand....NOT going towards the person I was throwing too. The ball sure made a longer arc...only towards the DM. BUT, the DM was checking his footing on the platform and looking down....oblivious to a bowling bal moving in slow motion towards him. I can only float there with a terrified "OH @$*&" going through my mind....the trajectory couldn't!....no it won't!....AH SNAP ITS GONNA......THUD:11:. Knocked him right in the noggin. My instructor swam over to make sure he has ok, while I flailed around trying to swim over to see what I could do(as if). The DM was OK, no bruises (other than my ego), nor blood spilt. But I sure felt awful. I tried my best to make an underwater sign for "What an A-hole I am, I am sooooo sorry" But he kinda grinned and gave me the 'ok' sign. I shook my head and thought to myself"Geez, you've been underwater for only 5 minutes and manage to crack someone in the head with a bowling ball!"

I'm ready to get to some diving again....I'll just avoid throwing any large non-buoyant objects.

Give yourself some time to adjust, buoyancy will come with time. Especially once you get your own BC, if you don't already have one.

So which DM did you tag??

As I was rounding a large rock crusher (in ~20') I noticed I was slowly ascending as my BC had too much air and my tank was getting lighter(it was towards the end of the dive). I was fumbling for my rear dump valve while at the same time trying to swim downward, I imagine the sight would've been similar to a sea lion having a stroke

The visual is great:rofl3: I am still working on how to stay off the bottom. Everyone says it takes time. Remember to practice as much as possible. Look forward to diving with you soon:D

I know for sure that I got better within the first 20 dives. Of course by then I had bought my own back inflate BC, made a big difference. Now buoyancy and trim is not an issue after 65+ dives, unless I am diving the doubles. Still dialing in the trim for them.
One thing that helps a great amount is to have a DB that knows what trim is and how to get buoyancy under control. Most that I dove with in the begining didn't know about trim.

terfmop:
. I shook my head and thought to myself"Geez, you've been underwater for only 5 minutes and manage to crack someone in the head with a bowling ball!"quote]

:rofl3: Well, that's just something you don't hear every day. :rofl3:

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

I'll have to add "watch for falling bowling balls" to my list (as if I wasn't parinoid enough sometimes). Thanks for the story, it gave me a chuckle for the day.

You now have entered into the "Dive Zone" - no more weekend projects, the grass can wait and that wedding you have to attend - no way - you have diving to do. It's funny how your priorities will change now that you have the c-card.

Congrats, now get out there and grow some gills.

S. Nagel

terfmop:
During the dives, I tended to swim faster than my buddy. I was good at always checking for him

First of all congratulations, second the only thing I'd point out is regarding the above. Try to go slow, the object is to see how slow you can go not how fast. By moving slowly you'll get a better air consumption rate and be able to stay under longer, plus you'll see more things.

I've got a buddy who I've been diving with for several months now and he's just getting to the go slow part. He was a speed demon let me tell you, he could outswim anybody. My air consumption during my dives with him went from a best of .35 to 1 trying to keep up. That's a real life example of what swimming fast will do for you, or rather to you.

Again congratulations and now it's time to start learning, be safe and have fun.

cummings66:
Again congratulations and now it's time to start learning, be safe and have fun.

Boy, how true this sentrence is!! And just when you thought that you had it down then you change a piece of gear and get to learn allllll over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom