Certification requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DB83

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any requirements for certification level to be part of a dive club? I'm currently open water certified. Do I need to take some advanced classes before I can dive with a dive club? Will a dive club limit the depth that I can go down to?

Though I can't speak for all dive clubs, there is no minimum requirement for membership in the most, if not all clubs. These clubs are formed in order to promote the sport and for the friendship bonds that formed between people who enjoy the same sport. As an OW diver, it would be to your benefit to join so that you can be more involved in the sport. You're opportunities for diving and the information you gather will help you advance in your own training. So joint up and enjoy.

Bill

I've not heard of a club that limited their membership to a specific level of certification. You could save yourself the dues that you would pay in a club and just dive with people here on ScubaBoard. I think we are more actively diving than any clubs out there anyway. About 25 of us were diving in Laguna Beach on Sunday, but you could probably find people to dive with just about any day of the week if you just post here.

Christian

Hello DB83!

I live near you in South Orange County and can tell you about the local dive clubs. Many of us are members of clubs--some more than one club--and we enjoy the numerous benefits of membership...

No minimum requirements, but some clubs are more likely to dive locally and others may be more focused on travel dive opps. You can try a few without committment or $$$ and see which fits you best!

Contact me for more info.

Debbie

DB83:
Are there any requirements for certification level to be part of a dive club? I'm currently open water certified. Do I need to take some advanced classes before I can dive with a dive club? Will a dive club limit the depth that I can go down to?

I can't speak for all clubs but the shop I work for has a club and they are *especailly* keen for the OW divers to join. It's a great way to get involved in local diving (with or without supervision) and you have many chances to meet new buddies, go new places etc etc.

Our club is large (about 250) so we tend to get sub-groupings happening as steady buddies start to shake out but that's all ok as long as everyone is having fun. Chances are this happens in most big clubs.

R..

Back
Top Bottom