Certification Dive Mishap and analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One "trick" I have used is to dive my SPG and my J-valve tank, and keep the J-valve in the "On" position. I will ignore the J-valve, and dive the SPG, using the criterion of 500 psig to get out of the water. That way, I will always have an "extra" 300 psig left in the tank, even if the SPG is reading zero. So if something weird happens, I do still have a reserve.

SeaRat

But isnt the issue with a J valve that they can be accidentially operated thus giving the feeling of a reserve, and then finding there is no reserve as it was already accidentially set and you have sucked it empty. In your case, you are running to 500 psig, regardless and so it shouldnt be an issue, but if you are tempted to run it to empty with the thought of having the J valve reserve, you could get accidentally caught out.

In australia, J valves are virtually never used. Only those who have had them from many years ago may still have them. I think most people tend to shoot them with silver arrows just to make sure they are dead.

I suppose its horses for courses. I prefer a simple K/DIN valve and know I have to monitor my gas constantly. If I am wanting to be adventurous, I take a 2.7 litre sling tank as my "emergency" supply should something bad happen. If I am going deep, then its all the required gas + reserve+ an emergency 7 litre supply+ a spare emergency deco cylinder under the boat at say 5-10m.

Plan the dive and dive the plan. Emergency air should never have to be used ever. I always run the rule "If it can it will so prepare for the inevitable"

Wow, didn't see that coming...

Reading a post I made 6 years ago about an event that was 11 years old at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom