Certification Agency Poll

What is your Certifying Agency (Check all that apply)

• PADI

Votes: 462 65.3%
  • NAUI

Votes: 153 21.6%
  • SSI

Votes: 150 21.2%
  • YMCA

Votes: 32 4.5%
  • GUE

Votes: 17 2.4%
  • TDI

Votes: 79 11.2%
  • CMAS

Votes: 21 3.0%
  • IANTD

Votes: 69 9.7%
  • ANDI

Votes: 11 1.6%
  • BSAC

Votes: 19 2.7%
  • PDIC

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • NASE

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • IDEA

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • NSS-CDS

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • NACD

Votes: 11 1.6%
  • SDI

Votes: 21 3.0%
  • MDEA

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • SAA

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • ACUC

Votes: 10 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did your Instructor train ya, or did the agency?
All the Agency did was go to the trouble to set up the program initially, and to print the cert-card. But it was the Instructor that was there with you every minute in class and in the pool and at the lake. It was the Instructor that made sure you met not only the Agency's MINIMUM STANDARDS (go look it up) but also their gut-feel standards which they've developed while teaching... and that ain't something an agency can teach them.

It's kinda like buying a new pair of shoes and hoping they'll feel good ina few days. At the OW session, an instructor has gotta see enough demonstrated-learning principles the allow a diver to continue to learn on their own and still be safe til they get the hang of it.

And yes, yer going to get a few that can only parrot-back to their class what it says to say in the blue-print (or bold, or the box, or whatever) and do nothing else to make the course stimulating or even moderately-educational. But none of us know (or are) that kind, right? The Instructor (whatever agency they belong to) needs to take the best of what the agency has to offer and present it in a manner thay we, the diver, can usefully apply.

Yup, it's the instructor (if they're any good).

PADI-MI
SSI-MI
SDI-IT
TDI-IT
IANTD-I
DAN-I
NSS-CDS
NACD

OK ronbo, you're right...it's the instructor, who just happens to be representing the above mentioned agencies. :wink:

By the way, are you following me around the board today? :confused:

I was certified by YMCA in 1958 because that's what the instructor gave me and I believe that's exactly the same today i.e. a non-diver knows nothing about 'certification agencies' but simply goes to the most convenient or cheapest scuba school and takes what he gets.
However, today and for the last few years, non-divers are more and more frequently calling a scuba school to inquire about classes and they DO ask whether the course is PADI. Clearly PADI has done the best job of promoting their name (and incidentally the sport of scuba). I own and operate a very large and busy scuba school (Scuba 2000, PADI CDC #4265 with over 1500 trainees per year). I cannot recall any new diver asking for any other certification agency.
From my perspective (a scuba store owner since 1969), for the moment PADI is the only logical business choice. All the complaints on this board about different courses are the result of
personality (instructor or store) differences not agency deficiencies. PADI has the best support materials, a stringent Quality Assurance policy and offers by far the most options in training, travel, insurance and other scuba related areas. Hence their firm and growing grip on almost 50% of the scuba market.

My YMCA course took 26 weeks to complete but it's a mistake and demonstrates ignorance of the development and philosophy of todays scuba training to assume that a long course with lots of 'stuff' in it is a better course. The PADI OW course contains exactly what the new diver needs to begin safe scuba diving - and no more. Do new divers need to know how a regulator works? No! They do need to know to buy and use quality gear from a reputable dive shop and have it serviced regularly. Is it important to know and be able to state Boyle's Law? No! They do need to instinctively breathe at all times and equalize on descent. Is there any reason why they should not be taught these topics? Yes! The more you cram into their heads the less they remember. If they have an interest in regulators encourage them to take an equipment course.
PADI dictates the course content based on their extensive market and safety research. Most other agencies have no such research program. PADI limits instructor input to the course content because most instructors regardless of their agency affiliation have personal interests, enlarged egos and no professional educational methodology training all of which influence what their input would be if allowed. One of the single most important aspects of the PADI Open Water program is that it is consistent regardless of where you take it and that partly explains why the PADI card is universally accepted. When a NAUI (or other) diver shows his card, the charter service can never be entirely sure of what he knows or doesn't know. The latest PADI OW videos are almost completely self sufficient i.e. the instructor does not have to teach. The videos present all the required information in a more entertaining, more complete, more consistent manner than any instructor can. All the instructor needs to do is answer any questions and administer the quizzes (exams in NAUI language) and then concentrate on the water skills (the most important part).
I'm not a PADI fanatic, in fact, my heart is with NAUI, but again, from a practical and business perspective, PADI is the only logical choice. At this time in the development of the sport of scuba, upon completion of a new diver course, if the student does NOT get a PADI card I believe he may have been placed at a disadvantage as he travels the world diving.
All of the above assumes the instructor is doing his job properly. If he isn't, the course is not good regardless of the agency. Every member of the scuba industry should watch for and report such cases to the agency. They hurt us all.

Before you chew my head off, I'm an instructor for ACUC (Level III (ACUC is older and much larger than many of the agencies listed in this poll)), NAUI (25 year pin), IDEA (IT), SSI (Platinum Card), NASE, CURE, DAN, CMAS (3 star) and PADI (20 year pin) and I've taught hundreds of divers at all levels including instructor for most of these agencies. This doesn't make me an expert but it certainly qualifies me to address this topic.

Originally posted by seahunter
[All of the above assumes the instructor is doing his job properly. If he isn't, the course is not good regardless of the agency. Every member of the scuba industry should watch for and report such cases to the agency. They hurt us all.

Before you chew my head off, I'm an instructor for ACUC (Level III (ACUC is older and much larger than many of the agencies listed in this poll)), NAUI (25 year pin), IDEA (IT), SSI (Platinum Card), NASE, CURE, DAN, CMAS (3 star) and PADI (20 year pin) and I've taught hundreds of divers at all levels including instructor for most of these agencies. This doesn't make me an expert but it certainly qualifies me to address this topic. [/B]

Welcome to the Board Alec

Perhaps you could expand on your post by telling us the advantages of training divers in a weekend gaurenteed!

Hi Gadget,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking i.e. about the advantages of a weekend scuba course or about a scuba course that's guaranteed.
Knowing that perhaps 50% of scuba courses taught in the Western Hemisphere are a 2 day format, I have to believe that you know the advantages of a 2 day or weekend course. They are quick, fun, convenient and very popular with the public. When taught using the latest and best educational materials (PADI?) and with experienced staff, the finshed product is invariably excellent and enthusiastic too! We are now considering a full certification program that will be completed in 3 days, also a very common format around the world and easily accomplished in total safety and fun.
I assume therefore that you are inquiring about our 'Money-Back Guarantee of Success'. It's simple! Any new diver that takes a scuba program with Scuba 2000 and takes part in each part of the training process (class, pool and open water) and does not achieve certification, may continue training at no extra charge until certification is achieved or receive a full refund minus a nominal administration charge. The admin charge is only to cover the PADI materials used by the student which are his to keep and refer to in the future. The advantages of this policy are actually clear and apply to both parties (Scuba 2000 and the new diver). The new diver has assurance that his desire to become a scuba diver will be met or his investment will be returned. The advantage to Scuba 2000 is easy - we get the customer!
I'll wait for your response before I answer your next question although I think I know what it is.
BTW have you seen The Diving Board on the Scuba 2000 site?
Not the size of lots of other scuba chat lines but often more applicable to our diving and issues. It also features a Marketplace and Travel Guide.

Nope that's not what I was asking for, but thanks for the unsolicited commercial for your shop.

:confused:

- Why don't you address the following "ädvantages" of your 2 day format.

- Rushed students who are zoned out after spending back to back to back hours in classrooms and pools all in one weekend.

- Is the weekend wonder students actually safe to dive unsupervised when they are trained slightly better than a resort course.

- Are weekend courses actually just cash cows for diploma mill style dive schools who care nothing about quality but only making the bottom line.

- The so called advanced PADI training method of having the class watch a training video and parrot out the answers on a knowledge review 15 minutes after they see it.

-Miniminal retention of the theory they have managed to learn.

-The fact that some of these advanced dive schools provide rental textbooks for their students rather than providing them with one to keep. So after their hurry up course they don't even have a book to reference to. Of course the only reason this is done is so they can cut a few bucks off their course.

- Complaints from instructors around the country that they are having to retrain students in basic skills they should have perfected in their basic course.

These include mask clearing, emergency ascents, basic finning, buoyancy control, rescue skills etc, etc....

- What about the whole diving is for everyone marketing strategy that the weekend course demands.

Diving is a wonderful sport, but it is not for everyone and care must be taken by the shop who signs up the prospective student that people at risk or not suitable for accelerated training are thoroughly briefed.

Who exactly screens the 1500+ students that get signed up at this super school? Is it the clerk at the counter who has no scuba leadership qualifications or is it an instructor who should have the best interest of the student at heart and explains all the risks and benefits involved in the sport?

I will not go on as this whole discussion is a topic in itself and I feel that your entire view point is entrenched and possibly motivated by factors other than training quality.

As far as the scuba 2000 message board goes... I have no desire to post to a forum that removes the comments of people who disagree with the owner of the board.

This message board on the other hand is independent, full of interesting and informed people with honest strong opinions that are not controlled or disctated by the owner of the diving board.

I'll wait for your response before I answer your next question although I think I know what it is.

I'll bet you didn't guess right...:boom:

Seahunter, Please leave store Ads where they belong, not on the board. What will be the next padi revolution? No instructors and the full course on line by passing a middleman so they can gain full restitution of funds.. The open water will be done with 3d glasses in vertual reality, thus elliminating any risk that their students might get bent from the experience. Watching a video is not teaching its baby siting.

TTFN

First allow me to apologize for any offence caused by mentioning the name of a store on this forum. It was not intended as an ad.
I am quite new to this board and not completely familiar with the informal rules. Clearly, as I've seen numerous trade names on the board, there is no legitimate reason not to include trade names when supportive of the post but, if other members for their own reasons find it annoying, I will avoid doing that in the future. Being on top does tend to draw criticism!
BTW does that also mean that we cannot state the name of a scuba training agency when making criticisms or compliments? They are all money making corporations just like my own!

Now that I know the identity of gadget, I will also avoid posts or replies on this board where he is involved in the discussion. To my knowledge he has been banned from at least 3 web sites for violations of their registration agreement. In each case, his posts were judged by an independent jury of moderators before the ban was imposed. I, in fact and unknown to him, argued in his favor to allow him to remain on a mutual board until my arguments no longer were acceptable in light of his comments. Read his posts and judge for yourself.

His reply to my clear, concise and accurate attempt to answer his question is obviously a vitriolic condemnation of PADI totally unsupported by the facts. Please note from the original poll that PADI has the support of more divers than the next five largest agencies combined! A slap at PADI is obviously a slap in the face of those divers and the scuba businesses that support PADI. Those businesses as it happens are the strongest and most successful businesses in the industry. Before someone who is envious or angry at a very successful scuba store or agency starts to condemn those businesses, it might be wise to look at the reasons for their success and improve on them and employ them. PADI is the biggest and best and that didn't happen by accident. It's not my belief - it's a fact! I'd also like to point out that I clearly stated PADI is the choice for anyone wanting to be successful in the scuba industry. Unlike gadget, I did not condemn any other agency (I easily could), in fact, as I recall I said that my heart is with NAUI (gadget's chosen agency) but I don't run by business by my heart.

I will not grace the numerous childish statements made with individual answers. I've heard them all before from many leaders in 'other' agencies for too many years to recall. Perhaps if these efforts had been spent improving, updating and promoting their scuba programs, there wouldn't be such a glaring disparity in the popular choice of agencies.

I will add however, that there is likely some merit to the criticisms made IF the scuba store and it's staff do not conduct the programs carefully. No agency can claim to have perfect instructors and that common thought has followed this topic from the beginning i.e. the single most important factor in every scuba course in the individual instructor. A poor instructor can destroy a good program; a good instructor can make a mediocre course excellent. Some scuba schools, which shall remain nameless, have regular assessments of their instructors performance and also an Instructor Improvement Program to ensure everyone stays current, consistent and in line with the store and agency policies.

Having said all of the above both in defence of the most modern and popular scuba training programs (PADI) and in defence of gadget himself, I really ought to be allowed (without mentioning any names) to defend the scuba school for which I work. Not a single criticism made by gadget of a weekend program applies to our school!! Not one!!! Please note in my original 'ad' that I clearly mentioned the countless emails and letters we receive from diving professionals around the world praising the skills and preparation of our new and experienced divers (dare I add?) when compared to other divers.
I appreciate the comments made by gadget despite their obvious partial tone because, as I studied each in relation to our courses, it gave me an opportunity to assess our programs and re-confirm that they really are excellent. By supplying a list of potential problems, regardless of their unfairness or inaccuracy, I now have another means to ensure our students continue to receive the very best scuba training available.

I'm not quite sure where you're heading O2diver.
It seems you have a crystal ball because your description of scuba training in the future is amazingly accurate. No one will argue that the water portion of a scuba training program is the most important be it in a pool or later in the ocean. That is where the emphasis should be concentrated.
Hence your comments are very appropriate. The latest version of the PADI Open Water Course video presentation is so complete that there is very little an instructor can add that would be an improvement. In fact, an instructor allowed to run-on after the presentation could well confuse or dilute the information the new diver absorbed from the tapes. Dare I say that the video presentation is bright, active, energetic, even captivating and that it delivers the important facts in a clear, precise, consistent manner reinforced with picture, sound and repitition? Sounds like a good instructor! But the tapes do it every time, every day, everywhere - that doesn't sound like a normal instructor. Use of the tapes pretty well destroys any argument that the instructor in the classroom wasn't very good.
It is possible and in practice already for the new diver to use the tapes and book or the interactive CD Rom version (it's a new invention, O2) to study and learn the academics at home or in the office and then have his grasp of that knowledge evaluated at a scuba school. Does that threaten your 'Scuba Diving Instructor' ego?
Aircraft pilots do it! Brain surgeons do it! Please don't tell me that the academic information a new diver needs to safely start his scuba diving career is so complicated that only a 'Scuba Instructor' can supply it correctly. The benefits are obvious and further realize that leaves lots of extra time for the 'amazing' scuba instructor to work with the divers in the pool and in open water where the real and important learning takes place.
As for virtual Open Water Dives, I don't think in my life you'll see that but have you seen that latest training for fighter pilots or commercial airline pilots or skiers or golfers? I also notice there's always a line-up in the local bar in front of the video golf, baseball, basketball machine.
Let's be silly (you started this!) and consider that some time in the future with the environmental concerns and government meddling ALL scuba diving on reefs and wrecks wiil be virtual.
It's so important to think about what you say these days! Just thinking about it makes me want to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom