Censorship and SB..how far are we going to take this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how filters work but my though is that if ScubaBoard allows all the different words that some people want won't filters start blocking this website??? :confused:

I KNOW that while at work I should be working. But, I do spend a lot of time on ScubaBoard while there; usually running somewhere in the background while I actually do have to work. If ScubaBoard was allowed to have some opt-in sites where anyone could say anything what would that do to us who use a little work time to play??

My husband says that I often talk like a sailor (he totally cracks up when I am in a business suit and let go with a couple (*&^%) but there is a time and a place for everything. There are other ways to get the point across without saying *******.

Oh, and as far as keeping the curse words and sexual innuendo in an R-rated forum, do we keep the chit-chat in the surface interval forums??? I think not. :blinking:

Of course there is also a third portion. The ones that will take the board either way because they don't have strong opinions one way or the other, I personaly dislike them the most, but they belong too.

Ana, you dislike me? You're breaking my heart, Darlin'. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on this issue. I don't view it as being very important. Posting photos of women in bikinis? Who cares? That's not the reason for this board, so there's no reason for it to be here, but as long as everything's beach legal, what does it hurt? Get over it.

Foul language? If it's password protected and kids aren't allowed there, I don't see a compelling reason to forbid it. OTOH, I can understand why some people would be offended. I don't see a reason why people need to use offensive language. I'm able to express myself quite well without resorting to it. I'd rather see someone use foul language and express themselves clearly than to clean up their act but be unable to distinguish between then/than, there/their/they're, your/you're, etc. and cause all kinds of confusion about what they are trying to say.

As for personal attacks, there is an art to it and I appreciate it when I've been verbally attacked in an artful manner. Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

I do have a strong opinion about political correctness. It is one of the most dangerous concepts to invade society in centuries. It is thought control, pure and simple. While I've seen and heard some complain that this board has become too PC, I've not seen it. I've never had a post of mine edited to change Jewfish to Goliath Grouper, nor have I seen any moderation I would consider to be filtering to make things politically correct.

What you're asking for has been tried, to one degree or another ... it always ends up in a train wreck.

The inconsistency and tight moderation aggravates me sometimes too ... but, to be honest, I think it beats the alternative ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Quite possibly. Like I said, I'm not sure it would work either.

and where Scubaboard is vs where I would like it to be, isn't a huge difference.

So its either live with some frustration or try an experiment.

Personally, I really don't care that much so I'm going to bow out.

I'm not sure how filters work but my though is that if ScubaBoard allows all the different words that some people want won't filters start blocking this website??? :confused:

I KNOW that while at work I should be working. But, I do spend a lot of time on ScubaBoard while there; usually running somewhere in the background while I actually do have to work. If ScubaBoard was allowed to have some opt-in sites where anyone could say anything what would that do to us who use a little work time to play??

I believe there are proxy sites out there that will still allow us slackers access to SB. I'm sure there is someone out there who is more technologically savvy than I am who could walk you through it.

Of course there is also a third portion. The ones that will take the board either way because they don't have strong opinions one way or the other, I personaly dislike them the most, but they belong too.

Ana, you dislike me? You're breaking my heart, Darlin'.

Walter I thought you knew. Notice that when I refer to that portion of people as disliking them the most, it implies I actually dislike everyone in general.

You are one of the few exceptions but only because there is a loving element involved. Now let's not go too much into this because neither you nor I are very likeable anyways.

As far as the board, my issue is not with the pictures (bikinies/speedos/whatever), is not with cuss words either. My issue is more with the prevalent Kumbaya philosophy. It is unnatural and with a few exceptions it is a fake. There is a bunch of members here, from different places (geographically and mentally), suposedly all have diving in common but our diving is different too. Some of us take out diving a lot more serious than others. That's not all, we have many definition of seriousness. How can we pretend to be nice to eachother all the time? who are we kidding? Is it that horrible to have a good heated exchange of posts when things come to a head, say what you need, get it out of your system and then feel free to go on.

Instead there is a forced nice front that I can see leads to holding grudges. Read some of the posts above.. some people is recalling things that happened years ago, why? because they didn't get it out of their system.
yes, I know the oh so terrible "personal attacks' , omg... do people realize this is cyber-stuff? no one is coming to your house to slap you around. No one can fight with you unless you allow them. Some one says something you don't like, either tell them so or ignore them.

Anyways, Walter when are you coming up here to the tundra, tomorrow is promising good seas and departing time will be ~0930.

Because some people are just dumb and have to be reminded of that fact.

I come here just for that reason. There is no one smarter than me at my house (during the day anyway) to remind me of that.

Did something happen lately to have everybody all fired up about this again?

I just hope Ash was not banned because I need to ask him about a ping pong table. I really need the smart people around here, even the rude ones, as a resource.

I don't mind inconsistency from mods and don't expect it. If someone brings more to the table on the plus side, then I am will to overlook some character issues that someone who never contributes much might have. Fair does not always mean even...

Mods are like sharks, you want to know the type and which ones are in the area and develop some sense of that. It will make you a better diver.

Where is the cartoon splice job I missed on vacation, btw?

So let me get this right....

You want me to work all day long in my cube farm where crop dusting is frowned upon trying to please THE MAN just to make a dollar out of 15 cents. And then..get home after a long commute up hill both ways...eat dinner, check my personal email, and then when/if I decide to come on here I am suppose to act like an ADULT?????

Sure you can tell me if I dont like to just not log on...but that isnt very community minded is it?

Excuse me, but seeing that just about every scuba question has been covered from farting into a drysuit to technical snorkeling with staged snorkels...all people have to do is use the search function.

With that said, I will not act like an adult...instead I will behave like a teenager because I cant most of the day. As long as I dont threaten anyone with verbal/physical abuse I think I can use this board however I see fit...be it for my own hormonal gains or in case I want to see the latest discussion on mask clearing and what new techniques have been created that allow one to blow out their nostrils.

"I know you'd like to thank your siht don't stank
But lean a little bit closer
See that roses really smell like boo-boo
Yeah, roses really smell like boo-boo"

So wait, jepuskar, so now you want to be treated like an adult, but act like a teenager? Now I'm getting confused.

So let me get this right....

You want me to work all day long in my cube farm where crop dusting is frowned upon trying to please THE MAN just to make a dollar out of 15 cents. And then..get home after a long commute up hill both ways...eat dinner, check my personal email, and then when/if I decide to come on here I am suppose to act like an ADULT?????

Sure you can tell me if I dont like to just not log on...but that isnt very community minded is it?

Excuse me, but seeing that just about every scuba question has been covered from farting into a drysuit to technical snorkeling with staged snorkels...all people have to do is use the search function.

With that said, I will not act like an adult...instead I will behave like a teenager because I cant most of the day. As long as I dont threaten anyone with verbal/physical abuse I think I can use this board however I see fit...be it for my own hormonal gains or in case I want to see the latest discussion on mask clearing and what new techniques have been created that allow one to blow out their nostrils.

"I know you'd like to thank your siht don't stank
But lean a little bit closer
See that roses really smell like boo-boo
Yeah, roses really smell like boo-boo"

Is there any one post in particular that you are replying to here?

You might want to take a valium when you get home from work and give it about 30-45 minutes for that to kick in. You should be good to go then and ready to log on. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom