Cenotes Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

If you have only two days of diving, and haven't dove warm water much, I would recommend a reef dive, the first day, get your buoyancy down for the Cenotes the second day. The water is colder in the Cenotes as well so be prepared for that, since the cenotes are fresh water, you are also getting somewhat of a pre-rinse of your gear :).

Bruce

We didn't get to dive the cenotes while there so I can't speak to that. But, you don't mention too much about previous experiences so I would say if you've never dove a reef in this area, go do it. We went with Dive Puerto Morelos and had a great time. As mentioned before, they dive cenotes also.

P.S. I'm jealous.

I've dove ChocMol, Tajmahal, Dos Ojos, and Angelita and loved all of them. Angelita is very unique in that it is a deep dive about 120 feet it has a sulphur layer that makes it appear like you are floating in a cloud. The others are very beautiful and very shallow. I actually dive the shallow cenotes the day before departure so I don't have to worry about time to fly problems, and my equipment gets a thorough rinse. I usually dive with a shop called Sealife Divers, located in Playa Del Carmen. They will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the cenotes. They also are a small operation so you can pretty much go to whichever cenote you choose. I dive with them whenever I go to the Yucutan, and have been impressed with their professionalism combined with friendliness. You WILL enjoy whatever decision you make.

Thanks for all the recommendations--certainly helps narrow the focus when doing research.

Scott Riemer:
you don't mention too much about previous experiences so I would say if you've never dove a reef in this area, go do it. We went with Dive Puerto Morelos and had a great time. As mentioned before, they dive cenotes also.
Previous reef dive experiences in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Guanaja (Bay Islands, Honduras)....if it was entirely up to me, we'd spend 3 to 4 days diving the Cenotes and another 3 to 4 days diving the reefs. :11:

Bayou Platypus:
Previous reef dive experiences in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Guanaja (Bay Islands, Honduras)....if it was entirely up to me, we'd spend 3 to 4 days diving the Cenotes and another 3 to 4 days diving the reefs. :11:
I know what you mean. I am anxious to go back. I'd love to hear a report of your trip when you get back. Please post it. If you dive with DPM, say "hi" for me.

Hi, I would have to suggest: www.Diablodivers.com . They are a new service in the area, but not new to the area :eyebrow: A complete service center with repair and rental equipment.

Currently they are offering a 2 for 1 special and a very personalized service.

Yes this is a shamless plug, but my wife said that I need to start paying the bills or it's back to cold Calgary for me.

Dennis

Diving Angelita is like entering a sci-fi scene, especially when you descend through the sulfur cloud and then emerge back up into the sunlight. Looking up from 100-120 ft at the sun through the green haze puts you on another planet. If you do this dive, don't wear any silver; it will turn black. Great dive! Gran Cenote also a great dive.

Barracuda2

Earlier this month I was down in Cozumel. On our last diving dave we had Christi (Blue XT Sea Diving) set us up with a day excursion to dive Dos Ojos. It was phenominal. Had the briefing on the ferry trip over, picked up the tanks and drove down. We didn't use the Hidden Worlds enterance, but we dove to it on our second dive. After seeing it - I was glad we didn't use it - it appeared to be hole in the ground w/ a large scaffolding/steps leading straight down to a dock. I just forsee hiking gear up 3-4 flights of stairs bad... The enterance we used was WAY back in the jungle off the beaten path. Nice stone steps leading down to a dock w/ a very large open entry area. The only bad thing to say about the trip was the photographer who was following us around to take pictures (and the subsequent flashing of his strobe) to sell us after the dive.

Does anyone know the name of this enterance?

-netmage

verona:
Yes. All you need is OW qualification. At Hidden Worlds, I believe that for Dreamgates you need to have demonstrated good buoyancy and possibly have AOW. But Bat Cave and Dos Ojos you can do without any prior experience in cavern diving. Don't worry about that - as long as your buoyancy is ok and you are ok with dim light. it isn't too narrow and you can always see the light zone. The guides are excellent and are used to beginners. At Hidden Worlds they stress that you can call at any time for any reason without a problem - the group will descend, see what the problem is and then go back down if all is ok. The giude did say that it rarely happened but I think the fact that he said it made us all feel better. Anyway, the nerves go very quickly once you see the fantastic vistas.

Dos Ojos is an easy dive, and fun too. Make sure you are well covered in your wet suit though. Not because the water is cold, though it is colder than the ocean, but because of the mosquitos. Once you are in the jungle, away from the almost constant ocean breeze the mosqitos will be all over you. One guy dove a shorty with us in Dos Ojos; it was like someone rang a dinner bell. Also, if you enter or exit from Bat Cave, be careful, it is a vertical climb up/down a slippery metal ladder through a narrow opening. It was great though, the cenotes are a nice contrast to reef diving in the area.

Since your staying close to Puerto Aventuras, you may want to try Dive Aventuras. They are very good. We did the cenote dive 2 yrs ago at Chac-Mool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom