Cenotes recommendation in the Yucatan area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everybody,

me and my girlfriend (SSI advanced adventurers, around 25 logged dives) are going to spend 3 weeks in march in the Yucatan area. We're planning to dive a week in Cozumel and then we are changing our accomodation to Play del Carmen to also do some off-diving activities.

Being in Mexico we would like to experience diving in cenotes and see how we like it. My girlfriend is usually afraid to dive in dark, narrow places, so we are looking for bigger cenotes, which have a good to great visibility. Considering this, what cenotes would you recommend us? It would be great if they would be not too far away from Playa del Carmen.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cenote Dos Ojos is very easy and gets lots of light and would be a good first start.

I was just there last week. Take a look at Pet Cemetary, Taak Bi Ha, and Nohoch. We saw guided cavern dives going on in all three of those spots. All three looked like they would have been really nice dives, even at the cavern level. Make sure you have a good guide!

Lots of good operators over there who can guide you on a cavern experience. I would find one and then go with their recommendations after telling them about your qualifications, comfort level, etc. In Playa, you can contact ProTec Playa. Others will also give you some good recommendations.

Three weeks sounds like a nice trip. Have a good time.

Thank you for your replies. Can you recommend me some operators?

Lots of good operators over there who can guide you on a cavern experience. I would find one and then go with their recommendations after telling them about your qualifications, comfort level, etc. In Playa, you can contact ProTec Playa. Others will also give you some good recommendations.

Three weeks sounds like a nice trip. Have a good time.

This. The dive guides will know which cenotes are suitable for you, fit your schedule, show you the most beautiful things, and show you a variety of things so you can see the ways in which the sites can differ from each other. If the guide knows how many days you will be diving, the guide will arrange the dives in the best sequence for you. Choose a good dive operator, and put your trust in their guides. They will probably recommend the same cenotes people recommend here, but they have the local knowledge that people here only pick up on their trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom