Cenotes in Oct. 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Jay 07

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello my wife and I would like to dive the cenotes 2 days 2 tank dives? We are staying at the Grand Mayan Riviera Mayan. Can anyone suggest a dive operator in the area and the best cenotes for us to dive and take pictures .We have approx. 50 dives ea. and fair/good air consumption . Thanks ,Jay

I had a great day with Abyss Dive out of Playa del Carmen. I believe they have another location as well. Canadian folks run the business (which is where I'm from, but no relatives there!).

Playa del Carmen Diving with the Abyss - about the staff

It isn't the kind of diving that everyone would be in to, however. It was just my buddy and I and quite a young guide. We're both experienced, and the young guy (16 perhaps?) was friendly and competent. Still, it was far from the meticulous tech-dive style planning that goes in to cave penetrations with operators back home. More Mexican relaxed.

I did a couple of dives with Abyss in July and agree that they are a great operation

Klaus @ playascuba took me on an awesome trip to Dos Ojos last Month, we were also staying at the Grand Myan, VERY nice place, can't wait to get back next year.

Thanks for all your quick replys. How long are the average cenote dives.Do they drive up to them? Is there nitrox availabe? Any tips for diving them? Thanks again Jay

You won't need nitrox as the dives are not that deep....not much more than 40' to 50' depending on the location. How long will be a factor of everyones air consumption as you will be guided as a group. When I did Grand Cenote it was a 56 minute dive with 1800 lbs. remaining.

They drive to the cenote location and usually gear up by the truck and go from there. Most of them are reasonably close to the main highway but they are spread up and down the whole area so a two tank cenote day will generally be longer than a two tank reef day.

Tips....good buoyancy control so as not to silt up the site, relax and enjoy and control your air consumption and know that your guide is trained and equipped with extra air, and make sure that you communicate your air supply to the guide so that he knows when to do the turn around. Cenote dives are in colder water and Dennis will get you a heavier full suit...make sure it is a pretty good fit so that you stay warm. You will need less weight because it is cold water and then more weight to compensate for the thicker neoprene.

Back
Top Bottom