Cenotes around Playa del Carmen area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomsuelaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are going to PDC area in a few weeks and are considering a cenote dive. I am a little nervous and am not sure if I should go for it. I am afraid of cave diving and will not do it, don't see it worth the risk. However, it is my understanding that cenotes are different. I have a few questions:

1). Is there fresh air between the ceiling of the cenote and the water level? (Does the water level go up to the ceiling?) Can you do an emergency ascent if needed?

2). Is there enough sun light to dive safely and have good visibility without a flash light?

3). Is there any that you would recomend for a newbie cenote diver who is afraid of cave diving...basically which one is the safest and has the coolest stuff to see?

4). Do you have to be concerned with "flash floods" or strong currents while diving the cenotes? Are they common places for increased diving accidents?

Thanks so much,
Susan

1). Is there fresh air between the ceiling of the cenote and the water level? (Does the water level go up to the ceiling?) Can you do an emergency ascent if needed?

In most areas of the Cavern Zone, there is a hard ceiling overhead. The Cenote opening is generally only a short distance away (always visible and an easy swim).

2). Is there enough sun light to dive safely and have good visibility without a flash light?

The visibility is outstanding and there is quite a bit of natural light, but you'll enjoy the dive a lot more with a light.

3). Is there any that you would recomend for a newbie cenote diver who is afraid of cave diving...basically which one is the safest and has the coolest stuff to see?

The cenotes that are further South towards Tulum are brighter and more highly decorated. Grand Cenote would be my choice as the safest and prettiest, followed by Dos Ojos.

4). Do you have to be concerned with "flash floods" or strong currents while diving the cenotes? Are they common places for increased diving accidents?

No worries about Flash Floods or currents. Lots of rain makes the road into and out of the Cenote a little more challenging, but really has little effect on the diving. The "current" or Flow in the Cavern zone is so small that you have to stop and float motionless for a long, long time to even be able to tell which direction it is moving.

The Cenotes are really beautiful, and I hope you do take the chance to go see them.

Is there any that you would recomend for a newbie cenote diver who is afraid of cave diving

Not really. But you have to think about what frightens you about cave diving. If it's the dark -- well, portions of the cavern tours are like night diving. You should be able to see the glow of daylight somewhere, but it may be a ways off.

If it's the overhead -- MOST of a cavern tour will be under a rock ceiling. The cavern zone, depending on agency definition, extends to a combined depth and penetration distance of 130 to 200 feet. Since the Mexican caves are shallow, that means you might be 100 or so feet from open water (which is not very different from being 100 feet down from the surface, except that you can't just let buoyancy take you there).

If it's getting lost, that's really not a significant risk in cavern tours. They are done on permanently installed gold line, and always with a guide. Everybody on the tour should have a light as well. Tours are not held where there is any real risk of silting out or reducing the visibility to where one couldn't find the exit.

But the single biggest risk involved in a cavern tour is panic, so if the very thought of being under a rock roof or diving in the dark frightens you badly, I wouldn't recommend doing this.

On the other hand, as Scott says, the caverns are stunningly beautiful, and the water clarity is incredible. What you might want to do is to see if you can hire a guide just for you, and explain about your nerves and that you want to stay quite close to the open water. There are some lovely views and photo opportunities that don't require going very far from open water at all. But the standard cavern tour generally does, and it wouldn't be very fair to compromise the dive for the other three people, if you did the usual kind of tour and found you were too uncomfortable to proceed.

cenote diving should always be within the "light zone" meaning you can always see an exit. Also, there are guide lines to follow. You will have a DM/guide wearing double tanks to lead you so you have no risk of getting lost or running out of air alone in the dark.
Watch a couple of videos to see if it is really for you:

Cavern Dive Choc-Mool Cenote Mexico on Vimeo

Scuba Diving in Cenotes, Riviera Maya, Mexico on Vimeo

Cenote diving in the Yucatan, Mexico on Vimeo (this one is mine from this past March)

robin:D

As with all diving, you must weigh the dangers to the thrill. Cenotes are awesome! Even the least "attractive" are awesome.

Very good advice already. If you have a good cave guide, you will have a wonderful experience. Last time I dove down there we did two dives in Chac Mool. It was well worth the effort.

I hope you have a great time!

Scott, I must disagree.

In most areas of the Cavern Zone, there is a hard ceiling overhead. The Cenote opening is generally only a short distance away (always visible and an easy swim).
I suppose this depends on your definition of "a short distance." The definitions change, but, in general, the Cavern Zone is somewhere between 130 and 200 feet from the surface -- which could mean as much as 180 feet of overhead between you and air.

0923e9b0.jpg

The daylight may be quite a bit further away than the OP desires.

The visibility is outstanding and there is quite a bit of natural light, but you'll enjoy the dive a lot more with a light.
Several of my Cavern tours were such that unless you turned OFF your light, you couldn't see the daylight.

09e3e6e0.jpg

To the OP, please understand these pictures were taken with a GOOD strobe to provide light and at a high ISO.

Also, please understand, I had no particular desire what-so-ever to dive in a Cave -- and, if you are talking about diving in a Cenote, you ARE talking about diving in a Cave -- that is, in an overhead environment with no direct access to the surface. (The "rule" is the "Cavern Zone" must be within "view" of daylight (no matter how dim) and within some distance (somewhere between 130 and 200 feet depending on the agency) from the surface (the distance is a combination of horizontal (entry into the Cave) and vertical (depth -- the Cenotes are quite shallow). Anyway, I did a Cenote Cavern Tour and was hooked -- and now am a "baby Cave diver" and I love it.

It is NOT a place for someone to go who is claustrophobic. It IS dark -- it IS an overhead environment -- it IS fragile -- it IS amazingly beautiful!

Does anyone know how settled the caverns are? I mean, is there cause for concern that a giant stalagtite could break off, fall, and pin you to the ground or otherwise injure you or incapacitate you?

Do all the cenote dives have areas of small passage ways? I am somewhat clausterphobic underwater when there is close quarters and there is risk of getting my equipment snagged on something. I would prefer to dive one with larger spacing thoughout the entire dive, assuming there is such a cenote.

I am a good and competent swimmer so the idea of having to swim 100-200ft does not sound all that bad, as long as I can see where I am going and see daylight. So, is it safe to assume that if you have an emergency and need to come up for air that if you head for sunlight there will be a way to air? Sorry if that is a stupid question but it makes sense in my head that there could be instances of light without access to air.

Does anyone know how settled the caverns are? I mean, is there cause for concern that a giant stalagtite could break off, fall, and pin you to the ground or otherwise injure you or incapacitate you?

Do all the cenote dives have areas of small passage ways? I am somewhat clausterphobic underwater when there is close quarters and there is risk of getting my equipment snagged on something. I would prefer to dive one with larger spacing thoughout the entire dive, assuming there is such a cenote.

I am a good and competent swimmer so the idea of having to swim 100-200ft does not sound all that bad, as long as I can see where I am going and see daylight. So, is it safe to assume that if you have an emergency and need to come up for air that if you head for sunlight there will be a way to air? Sorry if that is a stupid question but it makes sense in my head that there could be instances of light without access to air.

Dude - I know it is Halloween this week, but you should lay off the scary movies! :shocked2: You're imagination is really running to the absurd. :shocked2:

Any stalagtites falling? Not unless some duffus crashes into them, you may see some tiny broken pieces on the bottom where this has happened... a BIG one breaking off? Not unless a submarine went crashing through there. Those thing are made of minerals that have dripped from ceiling over hundreds of thousands of years, building up when the water level had dropped. :no: I am sure some bozos have tried to intentionally break off pieces to take home as souvenirs, and I pity those guys once the dive is over... I bet the guide had something to say to them. All the dive guides are very protective of their cenotes!

Yes, the closest way out is always towards the light source. You never go very deep into a cenote. Dos Ojos, from what I understand, is one where you have several air pocket points along the way. I think Grand Cenote is the one with a very big "room", others are more narrow. If you are new to diving and also new to cenotes, the dive guide will NOT take you into one of the more fragile cenotes or one that has narrower passages, especially if you tell him of your concerns.
The LAST thing they want is someone to damage their cenotes!!! All the dive guides in Yucatan are very, very protective of their cenotes.

Scott, I must disagree.

I suppose this depends on your definition of "a short distance." The definitions change, but, in general, the Cavern Zone is somewhere between 130 and 200 feet from the surface -- which could mean as much as 180 feet of overhead between you and air.

0923e9b0.jpg

I guess it does depend on which Cavern you are talking about and what your definition of a "short distance" is, so Peter is probably more correct.

However, even in Peter's photo above (Grand Cenote), there is open water just to the left of the picture that is actually much closer than the entry. But it may not be the best place for someone with claustrophobia. :D

I hate to say this to anybody, and I do apologize if I am being too blunt, but it seems like this might not be the right dive for you.

Back
Top Bottom