Cenotes and Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi y'all. Woo hoo!! I'm off to Mexico next April. As well as the Carribean, I hope to do a couple of cenotes dive. From what I have read so far, temperatures will be 75 degrees in cenotes and 80 or so in ocean. And on this board, most of you recommend a 3mm full wetsuit or a skin for the ocean at that time of year. Would that be ok for cenotes, too? I have a 3mm shortie and a drysuit but nothing in between. I have found the shortie fine in tropical waters though have got a bit cold towards the end of a 2 tank boat dive. Thanks for any advice.

you will get cold in the cenotes - I used a 7mm in MArch this year - I don`t really feel the cold but by the end of the second dive I was starting to get chilled - a 3 mm would be uncomfortable

sealkie once bubbled...
you will get cold in the cenotes - I used a 7mm in MArch this year - I don`t really feel the cold but by the end of the second dive I was starting to get chilled - a 3 mm would be uncomfortable

On the other hand, just a few weeks ago I was perfectly comfortable in a polartec shortie for 40-50 minute cenote cavern dives.

Like tastes, there's no accounting for people's tolerance of cold. <G>

I dove the ocean in a Seaquest 5mm / 3mm (chest 5mm, everything else 3mm) and was comfortable in the Cenotes as well. Others I was diving with were in 3mm both places and were fine.

YMMV

I'm heading to Akumal in two weeks for my 3rd year in a row....counting the days!

Anyway.....I wear a 7mm jumpsuit in the cenotes. Last year I had a cap-type hood and got a bit chilled. This year I am taking my hooded vest too.

After about 45 minutes in a 3mm neoprene, I was starting to get a bit chilled. Awesome diving, though. Can't wait to go back.

Jim

I just returned from 10 days of Cenote diving in Akumal ( trip report ), and was fine in a 3 mm Full Suit. The only days I started to get cold was our open water skills work in the Cenote where we were in for more than an hour, and really weren't moving around much ( i.e. waiting on other students ). We added a Hooded Vest and were toasty warm, but removed the vest when we went into the Cenotes as we were too warm when we were moving.

You might consider adding a hooded vest to your 3mm shorty, and I bet you'll be just fine. As Charlie mentioned, the cenotes are pretty shallow, and when you do descend below about 35', you run into the salt water ( Halocline ), which is VERY warm.

Have a great trip!

in a 3mm shorty. I wasn't overly uncomfortable.

The hike thru the jungle to Temple of Doom in full gear made the shorty a good choice...

Back
Top Bottom