Cenotes and camping in the riviera maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avex

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,
I am going to mexico solo in the beginning of jan and I am wondering if anyone knows if or where some good camping might be if it even safe to do so. also if we are able to just rent a car and drive up to these cenotes instead of getting a guide all the time. Does anyone have any experience just renting a car and driving to the cenotes with a buddy to dive? Anyone camp out around in the area? looked around a bit to see if this was talked about, but i didnt find anything.

You can rent a car and drive up to the Cenotes, but you'll need a guide and pay entrance fees "Mexican tax" to enter the caverns...most importantly, is your buoyancy skills perfect??? Please preserve the Cenotes!!! I don't believe camping is allowed.

oh yea buoyancy is very important and i have been to the chuuk mool area before I have really good buoyancy as im training for my divemaster cert, but I am also thinking of getting cavern certified as well. might do that down there. hmmm. havent found much about camping out there might just be a better bet to get a hotel im thinking.

There are places in Tulum that are all but camping -- palapas with hammocks, and a communal eating area. I have never stayed at one, and I have no idea how safe they are.

Most of the cenotes don't have big open water areas, and if you are not cavern certified, you should not dive the caverns without a guide. Getting a cavern cert is a great idea, though -- it opens up a lot of fun diving!

I've seen a couple of camping places on the beach at Tulum. Head south from the crossroads in Tulum (the road that heads towards the ruins) along the coast and I know of at least one cenote down quite a ways on the right that allows camping but I don't know the name.

I'd check with Lonely Planets online Thorntree forum for options.

I've seen travelers hitching rides, but a rental car will be helpful if you plan to dive as distances are pretty far.

As others have said, please do not enter overhead enviroments without a guide unless you have been properly trained.

Hi there!
First post here, saw your message and had to reply. I live in Cancun and love to go camping down south, my favourite spot is at Playa Xpu Ha. There is a campground on the beach (Bonanza camp ground), with basic bathroom facilities and a beach club restaurant nearby. Xpu Ha is close to many of the cenotes, perfect place for exploring that aspect of the region. I think the price for camping is 70 pesos per person per night (that may be a locals rate, sorry if it's a little bit more for tourists) a total bargain. It's on one of the most gorgeous beaches down here too!

I can't share a link as it's my first post, but I do have a couple of posts on my blog, you can google "xpu ha beach solo camping" and look for the CancunCanuck link to see some photos.

Enjoy, camping is a fantastic way to visit the area!

Oh yea i would never enter a cenote with out the proper training alone but the people that I will be diving with have full cave and into to cave. cancuncanuck- i am going to look into this place and see what it is all about. it sounds really interesting.

Avex, I really don't want to sound like I'm beating on you -- but going into caverns and caves without training, just because you are accompanied by people who ARE trained, is a recipe for a disaster. There was a fatality last year (I think) in Florida where someone untrained accompanied a trained diver into a cave -- although both died, it appeared that getting disoriented and silting out the passage contributed to what happened.

Get the training. There is LOTS of fun diving at the cavern level in MX, and you can safely do it with your friends, if you have been instructed on both how to avoid problems, and how to cope with them if they occur.

yea i hear ya TSandM...people get killed more than we like in the cave systems of the world. I will be in the cavern area and not in the complete darkness, there are all kinds of shops that take divers into the cenotes so if anything it would be caverns like they do but since i am going to be down there it seems like a great place to do the training so I am actually going to sign up get my cavern done down there :).

There are loads of cenotes (sisterna) down south, here's a map.

map_cenotes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom