Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you bring a USA cell phone and need to call 114 or 911, will it work flawlessly? Or, are there additional steps to making these types of calls? Is it better (and easier) to buy a local SIM card? If there is an emergency, is it better to wait for an ambulance or just "self deliver"?

Plan on self delivery. Better yet, dive conservatively. I turn my phone off as soon as the cabin door in ATL closes and turn it back on when we land there a week later. Seeing the pace of life in Bonaire, I think it is prudent to consider yourselves self sufficient and persue help back in town. Unless someone breaks a neck somehow you are likely going to get them to care much faster, more safely than waiting on emergency services. The remote sites are a bit of a drive, time that can be halved by driving back yourself versus waiting for help to arrive and then transporting the injured back. There is no need to dive deep in Bonaire and to get into deco obligations, doing so is either for those trained or the reckless. Helping each other at more difficult entries and exits can greatly reduce the likelihood of a fall and injury. Just my perspective after 7 trips and soon to be 8.

Last edited:
Provided your phone works with the GSM networks here on Bonaire, it *should* work flawlessly. The local emergency number is 911 (although the European 112 also works). Darook has some very valid points however. Also, network cover may be poor or non-existent (National Park). You're also advised to leave no valuables in your car during a dive, this (obviously) includes phones.

Do people dive with SMB's inflated and on finger spools or reels during shore dives? If so, would putting keys, money phones in a dry box attached to the SMB and the spool/reel (double to make sure it's attached to both) be a good idea? If not, why not?

There are more than one emergency that can happen when diving. It doesn't always have to be a deco incident.

Nope. No requirement for an SMB or dive flag at all.

Money goes in a pocket, every local store is fine with wet money. Truck key goes with you as well, they have all been wet 1000 times before.

Wet money and a wet key are fine. Wet phones are another thing. There are a number of youtube vids with folks putting out their SMBs. It may not be a "requirement", but is it good practice?

For what it's worth, I am always skeptical of trying to reach emergency services on a cell phone, even in the US. I've had to call once (nothing dive related, there was a coffee roaster on fire). Waited on hold for several minutes before I was able to get a land line with which to call.

Your mileage may vary... but plan accordingly.

I’ve spent wet money on the island many times with no issue. I usually have an empty dive light for dry storage under water. Now a lot of trucks are coming with electronic key fobs which will fit in it. My SMB will stay at home as usual. In Palau or Cozumel I always have one. In Bonaire it is not needed. Just avoid
Atlantis and it’s adjacent sites during the day. The kite boarders will remove your head if you are unlucky.

An SMB is a must carry if you're diving in an area where you are potentially in danger by boat traffic. Bonaire really isn't that kind of place. The only reason I carry an SMB to Bonaire is if I'm planning on doing deco off a boat or if I'm taking a class where I need to deploy one as part of the course.

I have an SMB with me, but I've never needed it on Bonaire. Car and house keys go into one of those waterproof 'diver egg' dry boxes, as does some money, my fill card* and my nature tag receipts**. Drivers license** goes in a wet pocket. If you really want to be sure, there's these cheap and ultra small Chinese dumb phones which would fit inside such a dry container.

* I have my own tanks here, you don't need this if you have a diving package
** the Nature tag gives you free access to the park, but you need the receipt (which has your name on it) as welll as a form of ID. If not, you pay the regular entry fee. Only take these when planning to go to the park.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom