Cebu Recommendations- Malapusca?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not much in the way of reef life close to the main island due to the needs of the pot, although some dive shops will tell you there is lots of 'macro oppotunities' yea right. Whilst you might get to see the threshers, which will be a blessing, its not a guaranteee, some of us werent that lucky. But lots of other day trips to go on, and another vote for Hippocampus and the dive outfit next door. imho the island is over-marketed.

Last edited:
Does anybody know which dive destination guarantees sighting of a thresher shark? As a pelagic, a thresher would be hard to come by and I just count my blessings when I am a party to such an encounter.

Does anybody know which dive destination guarantees sighting of a thresher shark? As a pelagic, a thresher would be hard to come by and I just count my blessings when I am a party to such an encounter.

Thresher Shark Divers (TSD) used to guarantee within 5 dives you would see a thresher - check thier website. I've dived with them the last 6 years. I am on my way back from there right now in fact. I actually saw threshers and even saw a 4m mantay move a thresher off the mantay cleaning station a about 6:30am. We watched the manta do figure eights over that spot for awhile and had to swim off to one of the other cleaning stations to catch site of the intimidated thresher. I mostly shoot video down there due to the low light levels. Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for manits shrimp at Monad too as I saw one on nearly every thresher dive.

Sightings are never a guarantee
Cim... a guy I know when to Dosnsol during whale shark season and didn't see a single one over 3 days...

But malapascua is definetly THE place you have the best chances of seing a Thresher... And to my knowledge, most dive operators there have specific Thresher shark dives organised (early in the morning) as it's the main attraction.

I missed seing one in PG... :depressed: I was closing the dive (DMing) and everybody saw it except for me who was behind...:shakehead:

Check out TSD.

Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for manits shrimp at Monad too as I saw one on nearly every thresher dive.

There's a resident spearing mantis shrimp, usually at the top of his hole, near Manta point, and a few peacock mantis shrimp scuttling around too.

jbb, CODMAN, Bubble Junky,

Nice input about Thresher shark sightings. I myself saw the thresher but only when I made more than 2 dives in Monad. On one previous trip to Monad in 2005 (when we didn't see the Thresher), we did see an octopus and a pair of green pipefish. Perhaps we did not see the shark because at that time strobes were still allowed to be fired.

cim72lando

Back
Top Bottom