Cebu Recommendations- Malapusca?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arsenalgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Cebu next yr Mid of Feb....He's a super enthusiastic diver and his interests are to see big fishes, especially sharks as although he has dived in quite a few places he has yet to experience or seen any sharks...

Therefore, I would like to check if there are any recommendations on where we should go in Cebu..?

Through our initial research, we found out that Malapascua Island has tresher sharks and other large fishes....

Moroever any recommendations on good resorts there ( that has a diving centre as well as other amenities like spa etc)? as Ill probably only be snorkelling on a few days the rest of the day Ill be at the resort...

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Malapascua also has Manta rays (very big) and at that time of year, on occasion, Hamerhead sharks. If your boyfriend is big fish obsessed, I think it's a good choice!

As for a resort, I'll have to let others advise you on that (shouldn't take long).

:coffee:

I stayed at Hippocampus a few weeks ago. Nice clean rooms, aircon if you want. Note that not all of the rooms have hot water, but there are some available that do. Food was also great.

We used Sea Explorers as a dive centre, great service. They are right next door to Hippocampus.

HTH

I like Exotic... They can arrange for massage... The beach is beautiful! Bring many books - not much else to do (or maybe I have no time for anything else except diving)

Haha ok so there isnt much stuff to do at Malapascua except for diving ?
What about snorkelling?
Would you guys recommend going to Malapascua or Donsol then as I read that March-April is whale shark season n there seems to be more to do in Donsol.

We were thinking of him going to Malapascua himself first to dive a few days before I meet up to join him in Donsol hehe...

Gd idea?

I just got back from Malapascua, Cebu and Cabilao, Bohol- 1st time in Cabilao, 3rd time in Malapascua with a group of 6 other divers from NJ. Always stayed in Malapascua Exotic Resort. Their top of the line room includes air-con, hot/cold shower, satellite tv, fridge, balcony. You can get more details in their website. February is considered a cool month but there are only 2 seasons there- hot and hotter.
Massage is very cheap and from the list I saw, comes in different varieties but I am not in to this so I can't elaborate. Again you can always ask them, plus whatever other spa service they provide.
Thresher shark is a big thing in Malapascua but don't expect schooling Thresher- they are usually solitary when they come up to the top of the sea mount (Monad) and skittish but they are definitely worth seeing. I haven't seen them anywhere else and I been diving since the late 80's. In this last trip, I saw them twice but I did more that 2 dives in the same site. More exhelirating, was a manta in the same sea mount that stayed with us for more than 10 minutes (it's more rewarding to stay put and let the manta come to you). White tip sharks are guaranteed to be seen in Gato Island. Just tell your divemaster what you want to see when you get there. You should dive Gato at least twice. Nearby is the wreck of the Dona Marilyn. It's the real thing- sunk during a typhoon with lives lost. It is worth at least 2 dives. We never saw Hammerheads on one dive specifically aimed to see them (Kemod Shoal) but perhaps in another time....

I hope this helps.

Snorkelling at Malapascua should be good too! The reefs are nice & visibility is good.

Think snorkelling at S Leyte should be nice too, have inquired for a friend with a dive ctr there & they said there is good sites for snorkelling...

I have not heard "there seems to be more to do in Donsol" (I only stayed 1 night). Maybe it depends on what you plan/want to do. Definitely you can snorkel with the whale sharks but after that what do want to do?
Check with the Albay Board of Tourism (where your plane will land from Manila to get to Donsol) and that of Sorsogon (where Donsol is located by doing a google search.
Across the channel from Donsol is the island of Masbate which includes the island of Ticao (reachable by banca ferry) and the chance to see mantas. We never saw them when we went there in Feb. 2007 but we saw other things.
If your fiance is mainly interested in big fish the prime destination in the Philippines is Tubbataha but this is only accessible by liveaboard (March to June each year) and liveaboard is not a place for a snorkeler, in this case. Maybe it's time for you take up scuba.
Cabilao, Bohol across the channel from Cebu (1 1/2 hour by modern/fast ferry) is mainly small stuff (diving) but with areas of beautiful/prestine reefs. For an underwater photographer like me this was part of paradise. Bohol will give you an opportunity to see unusual land sites- Chocolate Hills, Tarsier monkey, cave with river, old Spanish church, etc.

I spent a few days in Malapascua at Exotic Beach Resort last year. Loved it! Saw a thresher shark and manta ray first dive and Monad Shoal, then saw a couple of hammerheads at Kemod Shoal the next morning (the photographer who went with us went about 50 feet deeper than us--we stayed at 110--and he saw hammerheads schooling).
Also spend a couple days in S. Leyte. Whale Sharks are common in the area, but on our 'whale shark day' we didn't find any. (The week previous had seen 7 in one day trip). Guess it depends on your luck : ) Leyte has some pretty awesome macro stuff too--
I think in Donsol, snorkeling with whalesharks is pretty much guaranteed. If I don't get the opportunity to see one in Thailand on my upcoming trip, I may head back to DOnsol for that same opportunity.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom