CE Requirement in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP asked about "Europe"

I offered information about 2 countries more than the UK already mentioned - which also isnt in the EU lol
Agreed. However CE markings are part of the EU, not Europe. Norway is different being in the EU single market with special rules for adhering to standards. So Norway might have to stick to the "can't (commerically) sell non-CE marked goods".

It's all moot anyway. Virtually everyone ignores, or maybe "tolerates" non-CE marked devices, with training as the main challenge.

A bit like those M26 DIN connectors for rich nitrox gasses. Few people have them fitted to their kit preferring the 5/8 standard, certainly in the UK in any case.

How are those M26 valves working out for everyone? :D

M26 is a damned nuisance ! Every rebreather sold here, is fitted with this contraption. Almost the same for deco bottles, lots of filling stations refuse to fill anything above 40% O2 if you don't have that horrible M26.

M26 is a damned nuisance ! Every rebreather sold here, is fitted with this contraption. Almost the same for deco bottles, lots of filling stations refuse to fill anything above 40% O2 if you don't have that horrible M26.
How did they come up with the >40% requires M26?

How did they come up with the >40% requires M26?

M26 is supposed to avoid confusion when filling a mix with more than 40% O2, and not risking to fill a non O2 clean tank. Not so sure.

The EU decided it was better for you all.
Not really, it has more to do with Aqualung/Air Liquide (at that time) lobbying for it. To the best of my knowledge, we're the only ones in Europe so fixed on this contraption. Never seen German, nor an Italian diver using it.

Note to self: if diving in France, bring my own oxygen!

In Germany it depends on where you try to get your fill.
Most shops have adapters but some insist on only filling M26, but actually I never had trouble getting the tanks filled.

A buddy of mine was in Scapa Flow last month. But as Brexit occurred, that's not helpful

Norway and the UK aren't in the EU.

Not sure that anyone cares about using a non-CE certified unit except for when "at work"; thus teaching is a challenge.

TBH few people other than the rebreather community could tell the difference between a rebreather and a refrigerator, let alone understand the CE status and rules.

There's plenty of Kiss rebreathers seen on dive boats in the UK. They're not CE certified.

The OP asked about "Europe"

I offered information about 2 countries more than the UK already mentioned - which also isnt in the EU lol

Agreed. However CE markings are part of the EU, not Europe. Norway is different being in the EU single market with special rules for adhering to standards. So Norway might have to stick to the "can't (commerically) sell non-CE marked goods".

It's all moot anyway. Virtually everyone ignores, or maybe "tolerates" non-CE marked devices, with training as the main challenge.

A bit like those M26 DIN connectors for rich nitrox gasses. Few people have them fitted to their kit preferring the 5/8 standard, certainly in the UK in any case.

CE markings are mandatory in EU and EFTA countries, which make up the EEA. All countries in Europe, bar some counties in Balkan, are part of the EEA.

Back
Top Bottom