Cdx5 / GT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Question.... Right now I'm using two cdx5 first stages with gt3 as seconds on my doubles. All mixes have been less then 40% in the back gas with out any issues. Now my problem, I was told that the cdx5 / gt3 can not support any mix higher then 40%. Even after having everything o2 cleaned from the same shop just last year. So my understanding is the first stage can be set up for higher mixes but the second can not. Please advise as my regs are in for service as we speak.

Looks like I'm being forced to upgrade sooner then expected but wanted to continue to use the cdx5 / gt3 on 50% and 100% mixes.

This is BS from who ever told you that. If the regs have actually been O2 cleaned they can be used with O2. Christolube or tribolube, viton orings, ultrasonically cleaned and properly rinsed why not? Oceanic used to sell a dedicated O2 reg. The difference between it and their other ones - it was assembled and cleaned for 100% O2 right off the bat. BUT then it could sit in a dealers case or on a shelf with every other reg. The procedure for using it for the first time? Put it on the tank of 100% and turn the valve on. Any second stage or first stage that you can get the proper orings (viton) and use the correct grease can be O2 cleaned.

I went with HOG regs for my back gas now. Until I can get a couple more my deco regs will be a CDX5 with GT3 or CDX5 with a delta 3. These go along with my sherwood blizzard and scubapro Mk 17 w/R190. Tell em to clean the second stages and use the viton rings. Simple green, a good rinse, and thorough dry. Some even prefer Dawn dishwashing liquid.

This is why many of us service our own regs. Find another shop.

This is BS from who ever told you that. If the regs have actually been O2 cleaned they can be used with O2. Christolube or tribolube, viton orings, ultrasonically cleaned and properly rinsed why not? Oceanic used to sell a dedicated O2 reg. The difference between it and their other ones - it was assembled and cleaned for 100% O2 right off the bat. BUT then it could sit in a dealers case or on a shelf with every other reg. The procedure for using it for the first time? Put it on the tank of 100% and turn the valve on. Any second stage or first stage that you can get the proper orings (viton) and use the correct grease can be O2 cleaned.

I went with HOG regs for my back gas now. Until I can get a couple more my deco regs will be a CDX5 with GT3 or CDX5 with a delta 3. These go along with my sherwood blizzard and scubapro Mk 17 w/R190. Tell em to clean the second stages and use the viton rings. Simple green, a good rinse, and thorough dry. Some even prefer Dawn dishwashing liquid.

This is why many of us service our own regs. Find another shop.

thanks for the information....

oceanic O2 reg was a piston reg with the proper HP seat. The cdx5 is a diaphragm 1st using a different seat material which may not hold up to O2 under high pressure. If you remember a few years back their was a regulator that burst into flames underwater a few years back and it was rated to 40% mix and it was supposable O2 cleaned.

Find out what the HP seat is made out of and it O2 tolerance. You would not want your HP seat falling apart underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom