CDX 5 DVT / GT3 Free Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottomfeeder Brodie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK....dumb question time. Bought 2 of these regs after reading raving reviews. I soak these with some psi left in them, wash them like dishes. air dry in the shade. The usual care for alot of money. The GT3 loves to free flow since it came out of the box ( mine anyway, not wifes). Get to 10 ft and it stops. This sucks on beach entries because I have to turn my tank off with a full BC until I get to the drop down location. I have a total of 16 dives on this thing, I adjust the reg all the way easy, I adjust it until its hard to breathe and no difference. I think its something in the first stage pressure because it free flows my alt air ( TUSA DUO-AIR IR-3) also. It "thumps" and scares the heck out me from time to time through the GT3. Its 6 months old and purchased from an authorized Oceanic dealer.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I love Oceanic ( probe LX, Pro 2 comp, etc). I don't want to look like an idiot taking it back to a dealer I didn't buy it from considering I moved out of the state I bought it in.

What do you think? Too much 1st stage pressure? Something stuck? Need it for my AOW class next week. I have a MR12 mares backup but I need that for my ponie and don't want to cancel the class.

AAARGHHH!:confused:

I had the same problem with one of my CDX5 first stages. The HP seat wasn't seated properly, so it would freeflow at the surface. The weird part was that this only happened on LP tanks for some reason...

Brought it to a dealer, he switched out the HP seat and checked for any burrs, and now it's working great again.

10 minute fix.

Does the freeflow start at opening of the valve or does it take a few seconds?

In the first case it's most likely a matter of adjustment.
In the second case it's the HP valve,there has been a recall for this but yours should be to new to fall in the recall series.Maybe it's been on the shelf to long and the dealer forgot to replace the valve.

Does the freeflow start at opening of the valve or does it take a few seconds?

In the first case it's most likely a matter of adjustment.
In the second case it's the HP valve,there has been a recall for this but yours should be to new to fall in the recall series.Maybe it's been on the shelf to long and the dealer forgot to replace the valve.
The recall was over the metal cracking IIRC, not over it leaking/ not seating properly.

Oceanic said that niether one of mine was in the recall. Guess I'll drop it off this morning at the shop. Should be a warranty. 6 mo old. Thanks guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom