CCV 05 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Physically, we’re home but our minds and hearts are still at CCV. This was our first 2 weeks trip and I have to tell you, it’s the best way to go for us. No feeling of being rushed to do every single dive or get in those extra shore dives every day. Skipping a drop off dive occasionally just wasn’t a big deal. It was a much more relaxed trip and I don’t feel like we missed anything. Meeting all the folks I'd only previously known on the various boards was a real treat, all great folks. And then there was Doc. That sneaky bugger showed up for the whole 2 weeks. Herself came along the second week. The stories will just have to stay at CCV!

There was 28 in our group, mostly Swamp Divers from SB. My friend Capt. Randy, from nearby League City, had 14 in his group. You could say that Texas was well represented this trip!

Ollie’s kitchen was shipshape and the food was delicious. Several times I asked for leftovers of one meal or another for lunch the next day and the ladies were more than eager to do that. Leftover roast beef sandwiches are one of my favorites!

The first week I was sort of concerned that I’d lost my ‘photo gene’. Normally the camera stuff comes first, it’s prepared the night before and each dive is a challenge to get that perfect shot. But this time, I didn’t even unpack the camera until Sunday and had no real desire to get it in the water. Since I haven’t had my camera in the water since last years trip, I had some stuff to re-learn and get back into the swing of things. For instance, twice I forgot to even hook up the sync cable to my strobe! In the past that would have really ticked me off but I just switched to ambient light photos and actually had more fun than worrying about strobe placement, burnouts, etc. I did get into the photo mood during the last week and brought home some nice shots. Although I have to admit that I really enjoyed the dives I did without a camera more than ever. Chasing perfection in my photos is no longer a major interest; Beast and I like them so that’s good enough for me.

I won’t bore you with dive details, but there are a few that really stand out. We finally had the chance to go to Lita’s Hole on Saturday. Jesse was the only one who really knew where it was. It’s now one of my favorite sites. Not dived very much, it’s still pretty much in pristine condition and with the nicest swim through. The surrounding reef is pretty with lots of life on it. Another memory is our first dive to Mary’s Place. Doc and I scouted out the new Scutt’s Slot, named in honor of our infamous San Miguel Mayor. Just past the fissure that makes the site famous, are two other smaller ones that are a bit tighter but just as pretty. Going through Calvin’s Crack all by myself, only the noise of my own bubbles is always a special treat for me. I can take the time to stop and notice all the life within the crack and enjoy the solitude.

There were a few snafu’s the first week. For one the resort was jam packed, even most of the beach houses were full. I think Billy said there were 82 divers that week! Our yellow boat was packed with 22 divers, as were the other 3 boats, the most we’ve ever had. Most on our boat were excellent divers but it could still feel like a train wreck at times. Our group was split on two boats and I do wish our boat had been filled out with others from our group but it all worked out. Getting Nitrox tanks analyzed was a real effort in scheduling. We had to get tanks for the next dives as soon as we got back to the gear locker. Then the Nitrox compressor went down one day, which put a strain on the air compressor time. I think it even went down fore awhile since the guys did go to Fantasy Island to fill some tanks. Since we had another week ahead of us, we skipped a few dives so others could get the tanks they needed. Kudos go to the whole dive staff, especially in dealing with disgruntled divers who apparently forgot that you CAN dive on air! They served us all with those classic island smiles when I can just imagine the strain they were all feeling. There must have been compressor gremlins loose on the island that week because not only was CCV’s compressor down, the operation that does the shark dives also had compressor problems and some of our divers had to take their own tanks with them. During our second week, Fantasy Islands compressor went down and they were getting air from CCV…..it’s nice to get along with your neighbors!

The second week was more like we’re used to, we only counted about 40 people in the dining room at the busiest. There were no long lines in the clubhouse at mealtimes, just the normal wait for omelets and waffles. I had gotten in the habit of going to meals late to miss the lines. That wasn’t necessary the second week. Much more laid back atmosphere. And only 11 on our boat all week! For the week I logged 42 dives, 44 hours total bottom time. Dive #700 happened appropriately one day on CCV Wall.

I haven't had time to go through all the photos yet but here are a few that I like...

P5231643.sized.jpg

P5161091.sized.jpg

P5161106.sized.jpg

P5231730.sized.jpg

You can see the rest of them HERE

I’ll keep my last dive in my memory until I can return next year. We did Mary’s Place again on Friday morning. With no camera to hinder me, I hung back and Tulio let me be the last one in. Ah…the solitude. The dark textured walls framing the blue of the opening at the end with sunbeams streaming from the surface. The only sound was the crackles and snaps of the shrimp and crabs that lived there.

P5241775.sized.jpg

As I moved along the wall, entering several crevices and zigzagging back and forth from one side of the reef to the other, the blue depths at the end of each path held me suspended. Entranced. Gazing into the depths at the edge of a wall always makes me wonder just what is down there. Probably that 25ft seahorse Tulio kept talking about!

The CoCo Chatters trip for next year is already booked and in the works. Only 348 days to go!

You should see the pictures that Dee didn't get!

Among others:

The Harlequin Pipefish measuring 6" long with yellow/red/black bands

The Octopus that I would guesstimate at 26" if it were ever to come out of it's hidey-hole... where a very small portion of it was always visible 24/7

The two Seahorses making little Seahorses

....and a bunch of other very cool stuff

Thanks, Dee!

Hey Dee! Welcome home!! missed ya.

Love your pics and it reads like you had a good time....good for you.

Got any of those tshirts left over???

Dee, very nice report, thank you. and great pics

we are going there soon.

could you give me an idea what sort of crafts the locals bring to sell? my wife
wants to know.

H2Andy:
Dee, very nice report, thank you. and great pics

we are going there soon.

could you give me an idea what sort of crafts the locals bring to sell? my wife
wants to know.

From what I saw it's all junk. Your wife will need to go on a shopping excursion or something. I'll I can say is, I'm glad I dove because it's definately not a place for non-divers IMO.

hehehe... well... most of what my wife buys i think of as junk, so she'll probably
love it

Nice report Dee ... did'ja notice the ScubaBoard stickers I left behind?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bradb21:
From what I saw it's all junk. Your wife will need to go on a shopping excursion or something. I'll I can say is, I'm glad I dove because it's definately not a place for non-divers IMO.

Now, Brad, to be accurate, you stayed at FIBR near CoCoView, but from where we spent our two weeks, it looked an ocean away.

Vendors come to CCV daily and bring things from the island primitive to the exotic.

Besides two visits from the hair beading/braiding lady, craftsmen arrive to sell their wares.

Miss Pauline brings flour sack clothing with island embroidery of fish and palm trees, along with crafts made by the children of First Bight School including painted Coconut shells and beads.

Veronica Jackson comes with elegant embroidered flour sack items, two of which I have paid $80 each for and are matted and framed on my walls at home.

Oscar arrives with intricately crafted Black Coral pieces (and I have been with him when he buys this material from the shrimp boats as by-catch) that range from simple crosses, dolphins and hearts for neck chains to 14" long scuba divers, Whale Sharks and Manta Rays carved out of this gemstone.

Junior unpacks miriad of cardboard boxes from his dugout canoe and shuffles about the deck area displaying his fabulous collection of sea shells. The shells alone may be marvelous and at a good price, but Junior alone is worth the price of admission.

Enrique shows up, and he is no stranger as he was a DM at CoCoView for years until he became an electrician and married an artist who does her magic in melted glass and metal. Jewelry worthy of an Aspen Colorado gallery.

The Guatemalan ladies arrive and unpack those improbably huge carry bags crammed with the better offerings of their country's crafts. No need to go to the West End to sort through various levels of quality there.

All in all, you can dive and shop at CoCoView.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom