CCR hose and fittings configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are correct in that the QC4 emits less water than the QC6 when being connected UW ! And as I recall reading in Swageloc specs, it is stated there ! I guess that is the price we pay to go for the higher flow rated QD !
QC4 is not really used in diving as the flow rate is inadequate.

The QC4 was used historically for the O2 feed (a very low flow application) on older Megalodons but they ceased doing that over 10 years ago. They use a screw on LP fitting now.

I use them for all diluent connections and keep a Female QC6 to female BC nipple “cheater” in a pocket. My O2 MAV has the ability to accept an offboard BC inflator hose.

Do you have a picture of this, or a link to the parts? I found fittings for this for a stock QC6, but am having a hard time finding a F-F 9/16-18 connector for a LM machine QC6 (M-M is trivial to find).

Skip the LM QC6
Just use a female QC with a normal 1/4" NPT end. Then a NPT to 3/8" adapter, then your 6" female BC hose pigtail

DGX Adapter: 1/4-Inch NPT Male = 3/8-Inch F | Dive Gear Express®
BC Inflator Double Braided Flex Hoses | Dive Gear Express®

Yeah, that's straightforward and about what I saw with a stock 1/4 NPT although I was looking at slightly different approach: DGX Adapter: Turns LP Reg Hose into BC Inflator Hose isn't flexible, but it's cheaper and shorter (it comes apart to give the right thread).

Another approach I see is to buy (or make) a custom LP hose with a Reg connector and a BC F connector.

If it seals this straight connector would do the job to get to a normal adapter... but it's $50 itself and the 7200 psi rating is maybe a bit more than strictly required.

(I'm still thinking about using the LM because I have a spare body and it would be nice to put it to use.)

I think I've got it!
QC6 LM Body 9/16-18 M
9/16-18 Female to 3/8-24 Female $10
DGX Adapter: Turns LP Reg Hose into BC Inflator Hose $10
That last part arrives as 9/16-18 M to BC, but that's actually a removable adaptor. Take it off and you get a 3/8" male for screwing into a first stage LP port.

$20 in parts beyond the LM QC6 and done.

Edit to add: I have an intermediate comment awaiting moderation that explains in part that I specifically want to use an LM QC6 that I already have on hand.

(I'm still thinking about using the LM because I have a spare body and it would be nice to put it to use.)

That's a perfectly valid reason to use what you have - I didn't realize you had the LM one already.

Reactions: R80
Standardization with people you dive with is a good reason to go for QC6. Flow rate is not. The flow required from diluent or oxygen bottles at depth is very small and perfectly suited for the regular inflator hose connection. The fact that you use proper helium mixes with lower density reinforces this.

Different if (a) you are using an SCCR or (b) you are feeding a BOV where you want a higher flow connection like QC6.

I have QC6 but many of my buddies are on regular inflator hoses so I always dive with a cheater adapter that allows me to connect to my QC6 any inflator hose.

Back
Top Bottom