Question CCR for recreational depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With as much as standard open water training has been whittled down to a few hours of training...
OW training hasn't been whittled down. I keep reading this on SB. When was it different?

• Backmount with 40lb doughnut wings, V-weights, standardised valves, band formats. A lot of that from the DIR pioneers
  • Masks — decent one piece low volume designs with single glass ...
🙄
A wing is still basically the same even after you slighty change the design. And claiming low volume masks and dry gloves haven't been around for decades is just nonsense.

How about combining a CCR/SCR...
Yeah, combining something closed with something not closed makes lot of sense... in Wibble world.

2019 did the U352 and was the only rebreather on the boat. Handful of people on doubles. You could see a little cringe from the caption as I stepped on with the rebreather.
I’ve never had that experience in Morehead. Neither Olympus or Discovery has ever cared if I was on a rebreather. Hell, once they asked me to pair up with a newb just to keep an eye on him on the Naeco. Usually they assume I’m diving solo.

OW training hasn't been whittled down. I keep reading this on SB. When was it different?
As I had already explained, in Cmas and Bsac organizations the first OW course was lasting months and did include deco theory, etc.
Here in Italy CCR units (ARO) were used in diving schools as the basic training equipment between 1949 and 1980. But the OW course was 6 months long...
So yes, after Padi arrived, the OW course was shortened significantly. Removing a lot of topics, and the CCR was the first thing which was removed.

The Choptima guys thump there chest pretty good as well.

I’m calling BS, our chest is way too cluttered for thumping :wink:

WRT CCRs going mainstream , I really don’t think it’s a good idea. Most OW classes I’ve seen have a couple of students who lack physical aptitude, who are extremely anxious, and/or breathe way too damn fast. That is scary on OC, on CCR it’s going to be lethal way too often.

No matter how much you screw up on OC you won't turn it into a caustic cocktail.

I'm talking about the future. Also- joking about PADI…

With the right kind of (future) technology, CCR can be as safe as OC is today.

Marvel-Studios-Showed-Attention-To-Detail-With-Iron-Mans-Helmet-HUD-1200x900_5f196c4ddddb6.jpeg

I'm talking about the future. Also- joking about PADI…

With the right kind of (future) technology, CCR could be as safe as OC is today.
Yeah, and another possible future would be that flying pigs will revolutionize private air travel... in the next few years. Of course they will be bred by AI in iron man rebreather suits. 🤣

Yeah, and another possible future would be that flying pigs will revolutionize private air travel... in the next few years. Of course they will be bred by AI in iron man rebreather suits. 🤣

You may need an imagination transplant.

SPG's are much safer than J-valves.

Industries and technologies evolve.

/s
Except for rebreathers, everyone knows that rebreathers haven't changed in years, and never will. All future rebreathers will have exactly the same constraints and prices as the current ones. The theoretical limits of rebreather technology have been reached, any improvement would be like "flying pigs will revolutionize private air travel".
/s

SPG's are much safer than J-valves.
Hmmm. Can a J-valve fail? (Assuming anyone who uses one for recreational diving using tables knows "down" when filling, "up" when commencing a dive, periodically check for "up" while diving, pull "down" and ascend if detect breathing resistance.)

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom