CBulla can't keep anything to himself.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Karinia Brevis is making it's way up from Lee county towards Venice beach:

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/072506/tp6ew2.htm?date=072506&story=tp6ew2.htm

The scent of woe: Red tide on the key

ENGLEWOOD -- It's in the air at Blind Pass Beach and onshore at Boca Grande.

Red tide, the blooming saltwater algae that is annoying to humans and often lethal to marine life, is back with us.

A report from Blind Pass Beach on Manasota Key Monday morning said the irritating mist was in the air, burning eyes and causing mild coughing. According to the report, there were no dead fish along the shore.

Not so lucky for Boca Grande.

A scientist with Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota said Monday afternoon there were scores of dead fish on the Gulf side Gasparilla Island.

"Our team on the Gulf side of Boca Grande called this afternoon and said the place was covered with fish," said Gary Kirkpatrick, a Mote senior scientist.

"I think it's pretty well settled in the area."

Kirkpatrick said he was unaware of red tide extending to Englewood beaches. It has been reported in Lee and Collier counties for the past two weeks, and scientists assumed it would begin to move.

The Web site for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported Monday the possibility of "patchy low impacts" in coastal northern Lee County -- the location of Gasparilla Island -- through tomorrow evening.

"Patchy low to moderate impacts" are possible in coastal southern Lee and northern Collier Counties through Tuesday evening, the Web site said. "Patchy moderate to high impacts" were forecast in the Pine Island Sound and San Carlos Bay regions through Thursday.

"We're aware that what has been developing down in the Sanibel area has been extending northward," Kirkpatrick said.

He added that Mote was not sure how far the red tide has extended into Charlotte Harbor.

"We've seen elevated levels just inside the (Boca Grande) pass, but the worst is on the Gulf side," he said.

Rich Dworkin of the Charlotte Harbor Environmental Center in Punta Gorda said Monday he was not aware of any reports of red tide in the harbor.

It is commonplace for red tide to move through the Gulf.

Kirkpatrick said, "We're not certain if it's a drift or just coming onshore at these various places at these times, but it's common to do this at various areas."

The reasons for the red tide's movement in any particular area are complex, he said, with wind and water currents among the factors. That makes forecasting extremely difficult.

To check out the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's red tide forecast for Southwest Florida, go to www.csc.noaa.gov/crs/habf.

Red tide is a natural phenomenon -- Karinia brevis -- resulting from dense concentrations of microscopic, plant-like organisms called blooms.

It can cause watery eyes, coughing and itchy throats. Once exposure is done, symptoms disappear quickly.

While usually only irritating to people and animals, red tide in high concentration call kill large numbers of fish.

You can e-mail Steve Baumann at sbaumann@sun-herald.com.

By STEPHEN BAUMANN

Englewood Editor

DAGNABBIT. Oh well, people need beef, oranges, sugar cane and laundry detergent as much as they need oil. I guess Paradise comes in spurts.

Here's where I go when the Red Plague comes to town: Visibility 15 miles, crisp and clear, free air conditioning.

IMGP3098B1.jpg

Michael - Don't forget the tons and tons of useless fertilizer they dump on the grass that has virtually no root systems due to the insistance of watering far to often.

Jeff - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151322 - my rant of it from a few days ago.. You hear the results in my voice on the phone to.. its got my throat tore up!

Any Bassid would fertilize a lawn for looks would lick a frog for enlightenment, IMO. If it's fertilizer they want, there will probably be tons of it ripening on the beach soon.

Meanwhile, all I know to do about it is hurry up and get in some more diving before it arrives.

Right there with ya.. I'm moving out of Lovers Key this week (between tonight and Friday...sometime.. lots of prep to move a bloody motorhome) and over to Koreshan State Park for the last month of waiting on my new home to be ready for me to move to. The red tide in the air has my wife and I and both boys all just sounding like we've got terrible colds.

Aah, ok. And here I thought you had taken up smoking :)

dude.. that would at least give me the mild tobacco buzz that goes along with it... this is horrible. Its midday now and my throat has stopped feeling like I drank a cup of sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom