Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from my second trip to the Caymans.

I have been diving in Cozumel, Caymans, Bonaire, Galapagos, Gulf of Mexico rigs/Flower Gardens, and Florida.

I guess I prefer Bonaire to the Caymans. The "why" is that you can do a lot of shore diving in Bonaire, and see a great variety of things. I think the corals in Bonaire are far superior to the Caymans. The Caymans are way more expensive to stay/dive/eat than Bonaire.

The Caymans do have a lot of "structure" - but so does Cozumel. Yes, if weather permits (it didn't this last week), you can dive the north side of Grand Cayman, and have a 3500 ft dropoff right off the reef, and do a wall dive - if that's your thing. The sea life, in terms of sponges and corals, is marginal (at best) compared to Bonaire.

Bonaire is known for its corals and fishes. It is not known for the large pelagics (if money is no object, you need to do a live-aboard in the Galapagos to really amaze yourself). Bonaire is very relaxed with the shore diving (you set your own pace as to when/where to go).

The boat trips in the Caymans run from $99 to $119 for a 2-tank dive (plus tip). When the weather is uncooperative, the dive operators dive the area along Seven Mile Beach, which is just in the so-so category. The Caymans get a LOT of dive pressure from the cruise ships, and you'll see a lot of damaged coral around Georgetown. If you dive the Cobalt Coast area (NE tip of west side of island), you don't see as much damage (you can also dive the far east side, beyond Boddentown, but there are only a couple of operators over there - and zero night life on that side of the island).

I guess it is all in what you like. I've been to Bonaire 3x, and we were kicking ourselves this past week while we were diving the Caymans, that we should've gone to Bonaire (or Cozumel). Bonaire has had the entire island protected for quite some years, out to a depth of 300 feet, and it really shows in the quality of diving there.

I do second the comment on Cobalt Coast and DiveTec (where DiveTec is located) made by another member. A shore dive at Sundown Divers (below the Cracked Conch) is good, and you can swim out about 250 yards and drop over the wall. I'd skip the shore dive at Eden Rock, unless you don't mind seeing lots of pollution damage near the shore. For boat operators, DiveTec and Divers Down did a good job. I think Divers Down has more boats, and is a bit more reasonable, price-wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom