Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice job. What video editing software do you use? How do you time the scene changes with the downbeats?

Nice. We dove the Tibbetts last month...same Cuda hanging out I see:)

Some great videography - favorite is the shot at the end of the anchor chain on the TIbbetts. Your shots looked incredibly steady - looked like you helped this to some extent by going slo-mo with lots of the footage. Can you say more about this and the camera settings you used? Thanks for posting it!

Excellent edit and very steady camera work. I really enjoyed this!

Nice job. What video editing software do you use? How do you time the scene changes with the downbeats?

Hi Snoweman,

I use GoPro Studio. Is a free software you can download from the GoPro webpage

If you want to learn how to edit the videos I would look for tutorials in youtube, some are pretty good. This is an example:

Some great videography - favorite is the shot at the end of the anchor chain on the TIbbetts. Your shots looked incredibly steady - looked like you helped this to some extent by going slo-mo with lots of the footage. Can you say more about this and the camera settings you used? Thanks for posting it!

Thanks for the feedback!.

The slow motion definitely helps to keep the shot still. I use a tray with the GoPro that helps quite a bit too:

SRP Tray

And these are the settings I use for the GoPro:

Video settings:

RES: maximum. This will allow you to reframe on the computer. The easy mode -no reframing- is 1080.

FPS: this is the frames per second. 30 is standard, and it would be default speed. More frames per second -48 for example- give the option to do slow motion in the GoPro editor, that looks great for underwater videos. The only thing you have too keep in mind is that high speeds -more frames per second- need much more light, because the shutter is going to close faster. If you shoot in low light with 48 frames per second or higher, the camera is not going to have enough light and will raise the ISO (film sensitivite), that creates a lot of very ugly noise. A manual camera allow you to adjust the ISO, but in the GoPro is automatic and destroys the footage with low light.

FOV- this is how wide your lens will be. I leave in WIDE by default, and switch to NARROW if I want to film something that I know is going to be far, like a shark. Because this is a digital effect -the GoPro lens is fixed-, you can go with the highest resolution and do the same effect in the GoPro Studio. The highest resolution only allow you to go WIDE, because the camera would be using the full lens resolution.

-----

Capture settings:

PROTUNE: ON.

Essential for me. Your video will look lame out of the box, but once you convert them in the GoPro Studio you will have more range to play with contrast, exposure and color.
Protune ON adds noise, so be careful with low light situations.

WHITE BLANCE: RAW
Very important, without this the color balance changes automatically in the middle of the shot and destroys the footage.

Hope this is helpful!,

Safe diving.
-Jose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom