CAYMAN (GC) Apr 10/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0006

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Heading to GC next week and looking for buddy/es.
My wife does not dive anymore and I would just need a tank and a buddy. But all what I find in the internet are +80$ diving experiences.
I just want shoredive or even boat dive but without any organized group.
Any idea of someone or a shop where to find a diveboard to match with someone?
THANKS!!!

Contact Divetech - they have a nice shore dive at Lighthouse Point - they might be able to hook you up, or let you join a guided dive (although that would be an organized group).

I boat dive with them frequently as a single diver and generally you can chose to follow the DM (which I usually do) or explore on your own. And you dive to your own air and NDL, so come up when you are ready.

All depends on where you are staying.

Will you have a car?

There are nice, inexpensive shore dive options at Turtle Reef (Macabuca), Lighthouse Point, Sunset House, and Cobalt Coast. They have onsite dive ops at those locations and will rent a tank and weights for around $15 CI and they may be able to advise you about hooking up with a dive buddy.

Some places offer free shore dives on days when you are also doing boat dives and that is a way to stretch your diving dollars, but you may not want to spend that much time diving - especially since your wife doesn't dive.

Does your wife like to snorkel? There's a lot of great snorkeling options available from shore; see the link below.

TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

@EastEndDiver owns property on the island and he may be able to advise you regarding buddies and diving options.

Have you ever dived Stingray City? You should plan to do it once, but try and get there early or on days when few cruise ships are in port, because it gets crowded.

Have a great trip!

Will you have a car?

There are nice, inexpensive shore dive options at Turtle Reef (Macabuca), Lighthouse Point, Sunset House, and Cobalt Coast. They have onsite dive ops at those locations and will rent a tank and weights for around $15 CI and they may be able to advise you about hooking up with a dive buddy.

Some places offer free shore dives on days when you are also doing boat dives and that is a way to stretch your diving dollars, but you may not want to spend that much time diving - especially since your wife doesn't dive.

Does your wife like to snorkel? There's a lot of great snorkeling options available from shore; see the link below.

TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

@EastEndDiver owns property on the island and he may be able to advise you regarding buddies and diving options.

Have you ever dived Stingray City? You should plan to do it once, but try and get there early or on days when few cruise ships are in port, because it gets crowded.

Have a great trip!

KathyV much appreciated, really. That's exactly what I was looking for. We have a car rented waiting for us and a nice place where to stay 40 mins far from there. So you gave me the solution!
I won't dive a lot, but she asked me to do it bcause she knows I really would like. She's got a Padi...but she got scared and she quit. Thanks!!!

If you're 40 miles from there I assume you're staying on the NE side. Sunset House Dive resort south of Geoergetown would be a slightly closer option for shore diving - likely you'll be able to find a buddy most afternoons since there will be a lot of divers diving their house reef. Mornings many are off on their boats as part of their package deal. Your wife could even drop you there then drive 5mins. to Georgetown to shop if she wanted. Not a lot for a non-diver to do there - not even a beach.

For boat diving both Tortuga Divers or Ocean Frontiers are on the east side of the island. There's not really much organized shore diving there though - not a lot of good sites accessible w/o a long swim and someone that knows where to go.

It's not a great dive and frankly a PITA when the cruise ships are in but Eden Rock/Devils Grotto are both downtown also. I only mention them as the cruise port being 500' away means there could be cruise divers looking to buddy up for a shore dive there daily. It's pretty shallow, not the best of Cayman and last fall a container ship damaged one of the swim-thru's at Eden Rock but it's diving...

I think the issue at Turtle Reef would be finding a buddy there w/o doing so in advance - it's pretty quiet there just two restaurants and the dive shop. It is arguably the best shore dive though. Lighthouse has Divetech on site and a small condo complex so possibly more divers - they also bring divers over from the Holiday inn to shore dive there. So does Cobalt Coast resort and Reef Divers

If you dive Stingray City on a dive boat, the cruise snorkelers won't be a factor as they're at Sandbar nearby - but that can be a real zoo. It's only 15' deep if your wife wanted to snorkel there off the same boat for a reduced rate. If you like dive-cleaned wreck diving (boat) the Kittiwake is an option also - every shop is required to put a DM in the water so you could probably follow him/her. Actually that's the rule on any boat dive..

Back
Top Bottom