Cayman - East End - where to eat/buy food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In a few weeks we're going for out first trip to Grand Cayman, and will be staying at The Reef and diving with Ocean Frontiers out on the East End. We've heard nothing but great things about this dive op, and we're really looking forward to it. Of course we have also heard about how expensive everything else in at Cayman...

So as not to completely blow our budget by eating out every night (we'll have our two diving teenagers with us, and they are chow hounds), we wanted to get recommendations from those of you who have stayed on the East End of Cayman. I'm sure the options are limited, but we will have a car. So, any suggestions about (1) places to eat (basic, non fancy preferred) as well as (2) a place to buy groceries/fresh fish that we can bring back to our full kitchen in our room at The Reef to make dinner ourselves?

As far as serious groceries, best bet is to shop in one of the supermarkets towards the west end before you head East, or plan on making a trip back to do it. There was a small market Lil Hurley's near East end that had a pretty decent selection so you could pick up some things, but it got wiped out by the hurricane and I don't know if it reopened.

Be warned the grocery stores are closed on Sundays, though convienience type stores at the gas stations will be open. (Learned this the hard way.)

Hit the supermarket right near the airport (Foster's?) It's a big blue building on your left about 1/4 mile from the car rental on the main road. If you get to the intersection for Georgetown/Seven Mile Beach you've gone too far. I don't recall there being anything in downtown Georgetown so unless there's something in Bodden town(not likely), you won't find anything else to East End.

From the Reef FAQ - don't know if this is updated post-Ivan:
There is a small supermarket, Little Hurleys, located five miles away in the village of East End. However, there are two large supermarkets located en route from the airport to the resort, so we recommend stopping at one of these stores on your way.

When I did GC in 1998, I was in a group of 5, all staying in the same condo with a kitchen. We all got together and figured out our basic menu for the week, snacks included. We all added the non-perishable items to our luggage and took it with us. IE. spaghetti, cereal, cookies, Pringles, peanut butter.....you get the idea. Once we got to GC and picked up our mini-van, we headed to the grocery right there in Georgetown and picked up the perishables....fruit, milk, eggs, cheese...etc. Worked out really well. We also stayed on the EastEnd and dove with Ocean Frontiers.

And yes, it's expensive on GC!

DiverLori - good idea about bringing some food items, and we'll probably do that, although with all of the scuba gear we'll be packing I suspect we me major luggage hogs.

There's also the big Hurleys near the merge of South Sound Rd and the road from the airport. Can't miss it on the way to East end. (Also I think that's the closest supermarket if you have to make a trip back from East End.)

Some ideas have been mentioned ealier and I concur, pick up any alcohol at the duty free store on your way, rent from http://www.andys.ky.com and use the discount code CAG20 (20% off the rates), stop by Foster's Food Fair http://www.fosters-iga.com/ by the airport, it will be on your right when you follow the signs away from the airport. Hurley's http://www.hurleys.ky/in Grand Harbor is another choice, it's more on the way. As was mentioned eariler Lil' Hurley's is gone but the store at the Reef is well stocked with snacks and such and there is work on a strip mall across the street the Reef, not sure when/if it will be completed, I was last there in 10/05.

As far as restaurants, I recommend Champion House II in Georgetown, on the east end Arlene's across from Ocean Frontiers is good, recommend the fried chicken, also as them at the desk at OF for the number to Roland's Garden, highly recommended for the food, company and atmosphere. The restaurant at the Reef is good but pricey, sometimes the food is a choice from three entrees.

Cost wise
$$$$ - Portofino's
$$$ - Reef
$$ - Arlene's & Vivine's
$ - Your room

Roland's is pay what you feel the food was worth. I'm sure there's more in this forum about him.

Great sources once you are on island is the staff at Ocean Frontiers, they know how to make a dollar stretch on island.

SCVDIVER - thanks for specific and excellent recommendations! Praying for calm weather and clear nasal passages...

Can hardly wait.

Anytime. The pics in my gallery are from my last trip. Do make sure you get on wednesday's three tank safari, before it fills up. Justin makes a great video of the safari trip and it's very reasonable, great for memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom