Cayman Diving Lodge...Opinions Please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a long chat with Jim last night trying to persuade him to rebuild the Lodge. He is pretty pissed off with the people in East End. After the initial looting the day after, he boarded the remains of the place up but when he went back there yesterday the locals had torn it apart & taken everything even his rebreather. They even scrawled "Whiteys Go Home" on the place.

Why would he want to rebuild after this? So much for our hard-working god-fearing Caymanian brothers & sisters. Don't they realise that they enjoy(ed) the highest standard of living in the Caribbean because we whiteys are here. Their prosperity is due to the financial & tourist industries serviced primarily by expats - if we all leave Cayman will revert to the backwater it was until the 60s. They will not have jobs.

I don't think Jim has internet access yet but you might want to let him know your views on the Lodge chat room at http://www.divelodge.com.

Maybe this is why the Cayman government is trying to suppress media reporting in the aftermath of the storm? Widespread looting and racial animus are not exactly what the Chamber of Commerce wants you to see?

Hi
I hate to hear that, my wife and I were scheduled to be there October 3 for my birthday. I guess I will have to make different plans.

I don't know about the reefs, but Little Cayman reports they did not get hit as hard as GC. You might check with them.

nipi:
They even scrawled "Whiteys Go Home" on the place.

Thanks for the information. You've just solved my dilemma.

I've been debating going down to GC in December (assuming that it was open). The hotel and dive op that I use came through reasonably unscathed and I thought that the island could use the tourist dollars. However, I've been concerned about the reports of looting.

Instead, I'll go to Florida and dive the Keys or drive up to Quebec City for skiing. Either way, its cheaper and easier to get there.

Hi Nipi -

"Lodge talk" at www.divelodge.net/forum has lots of posts from CDL past guests giving Jim, Kim and the staff their best wishes, and, offering support in any way needed when and if the lodge is rebuilt. Since you do have internet access, perhaps you could let Jim use it to read Lodge Talk?

I'm saddend to read your post. I've never felt unsafe or unwelcome when in East End or anywhere else on Grand Cayman. Hopefully these were just a few people who are having a hard time and are expressing it in the wrong way. Do you know if anything like this is happening at Morritt's, Compass Point or the other two East End dive shops?

There are lots of people out there who would really miss CDL, and many who will probably not go to GC if CDL isn't there.

Back
Top Bottom