Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiver5014

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, but been diving for many years. Going to Cayman Brac. Thinking about staying at the Carb Sands condo and diving with Reef Divers. Anybody know about this condo or other condo's on the island? What about Reef Divers?

Thanks in advance

About the Caribe Sands....

When I was at the Brac this past April, the Caribe Sands was real quiet. I thought I saw the dive boat over there one day, there weren't many divers. I had heard a rumor about them not hooking up with Reef Divers, so I'd check and not assume that they are still being serviced. The condos look decent from the road. Other than that the only busy spots were the Brac Reef and the Divi Tiara. I know that there are homes for rent on the island but not any other condos.
By the way, welcome to the board.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Thanks, they claim they are still hooked up with Reef Divers and the price is right. Hope I am not buying a pig in a poke.

Hello,

My wife and I will be at Brac Reef on 8/17... when will you be there. I have heard great things about Brac, as this is our first time.

Vic

We stayed at Turtle Crossing January two years ago. Very nice. Can highly recommend the accommodations, although having dove both of the sister islands I would go back to Little Cayman before I would return to the Brac. Anyway check it out at: http://users.frii.com/getaway/properties/turt.html

Had a great trip to Cayman Brac in March of 2003. Stayed at the Cayman Breakers condos. Managers Nina and Robert couldn't have been nicer and the condo was immaculate. We had ocean view with balcony which was also nice for hanging dive gear to dry. Nice pool (which we never got to use because we were too busy diving all day!) with a rinse tank for divers and a BBQ grill. We ate at Aunt Sha's a lot and sometimes at Captain's table but it was nice to cook dinner once or twice and to have breakfast at "home". We had chartered a local boat and divemaster for diving --great experience! Our divemaster was Bernard (Bunny) Watson and he was terrific. He's PADI & NAUI certified and will show and find things you would never find on your own. His regular job is as a local fireman but he has a flexible schedule and can be reached via email at cybbline@candw.ky or by phone at 345-917-1558 or 345-948-0254 to try and make arrangements.

We stayed at Carib Sands in May. It was great. Reef divers came and picked us up the first morning right on schedule, actually the second morning since we missed our plane in Houston. And since we missed our plane both places cut us some slack and added the day we missed onto the end. Continental and Cayman air did too.
Reef Divers was great. Again since we were late they stuck us on the new diver boat and there were some NEW divers. The DM watched my wife and I the first dive and then never looked at us again. This was my fist trip after back surgery and the DMs went out of their way to get me in and out of the water. We were the first in and last out most of the dives. Can't say enough about Reef Divers.
Not being a big fan of condos I was a little apprehensive of Carib Sands. I was wrong. the place was great. They said breakfast included. It was. They gave us a box of groceries and we made breakfast and lunch out of it most days. We rented a car since the grocery store wasn't close and there was only one restaurant nearby. We also toured the heck out of the island. Bring some walking shoes and jeans if you are prone to crawling around in caves, opportunities abound for caving. I walked a few miles a day along the road and rarely saw a car. Nice quiet island.
I said Reef Divers only picked us up the first day and that was because since we had the car we could get an hour or so more sleep every day. Reef Divers picks you up at the Carib Sands dock right in front of the Condos. Great dock too. We watched reef sharks from the dock several afternoons. And billions of stars every night!
I'd go again! If you want more specifics shoot me a PM.

Joe

Will be there late Aug. Can't express how much I appreciate the responses. Makes me feel a little more sure about the trip.

My wife and I just returned from the Brac a couple of weeks ago. We stayed and dived with Divi. We saw the Reef Divers boat several times, and other than appearing to be a little crowded some days, I can't comment on their service.

If anyone is considering Dive Tiara, I highly recommend them. DMs Scott and Gary were very courteous and professional. They would load the gear onto the boat and hook up the BC/reg to a full tank before you boarded each morning. The boat was never too crowded (usually 10 - 12 divers) and there were no rigid return times. You could either follow the DM or dive on your own. Suiting up was really easy. You walk to the back of the boat, sit down on the deck with your feet resting on the platform, and Scott or Gary would bring your BC/tank to the back and assist you in strapping in on. After putting on mask and fins (still seated at the rear), you just stand up and step off the back. This was my first experience with this level of service, and we were quite spoiled by the end of the week. To top it off, they removed from the boat, cleaned, and stored your gear after each dive.

For anyone considering a stay the Divi Tiara, the rooms were spacious and clean, though a little dated. We ate most meals onsite and for the most part the food was very good and the staff very responsive.

I would opt for some dives at Little Cayman if Reef Divers offers it. The deep wall dives on Brac were almost as good as those on Little Cayman, but there was no comparison between the shallow dives. LC's shallow reefs were in much better condition, and you'll have a much better chance to see sharks on a LC wall dive. We dove 'Mixing Bowl' and 'Hole in the Wall'. Both dives were great and we saw sharks both times.

I've dove with Reef Divers twice and found them to be nothing but the best !

Also stayed at the Brac Reef resort which was excellent as well.

Can't praise it highly enough.

Back
Top Bottom