Cayman Brac or Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are very strict about their no-gloves rule.
Okay. I guess I'll just have to be sure to go there only in summer.

If you stay on Brac, I promise you that you will just come over to Little Cayman to dive the wall anyway.
What about spending a week on LC and a week on Brac? Is there enough diving on Brac for a week without going back to LC if I've already been diving there? Or would it be better to split them 10 days / 4 days? I like to make my trips two weeks because the traveling is so unpleasant that once I've gotten somewhere a week is an awfully short time to stay.

Last year we had 2 people in our group that dived Little Cayman for a week then went to Cayman Brac for another week. Usually if you are at Cayman Brac there is at least one trip during the week to Little Cayman to dive in the Marine Park.

So does this mean that those of us with poor circulation and chronically cold hands just have to freeze?

A written medical note might help. But I'd also be discrete and keep the gloves in a BC pocket and then only put them on if you need them. Don't ever put them on pre-dive...and also be sure to take them off before getting back on the boat.

On the thread topic, it seems that nearly everyone above prefers Little Cayman over Cayman Brac. So I'm surprised that one of the local dive shop owners was emphatic in recommending Brac over LC.

Its a matter of personal preferences, as well as understanding that LC has gotten a lot of good marketing press.

Broadly speaking, LC's reputation comes from when Paul Humann ran the first liveaboard trips over to Bloody Bay, and people were unexpected and astounded at the drop-off.

IIRC, Stan Waterman's autobiography has just such an early account, and in Stan's prose, he describes looking off the bow at 'BORING hardpan shallows' (sic) and wondering why Paul had chosen this 'loser' site ... but Stan then goes to describe walking to the stern and seeing the deep blue of the drop-off.

Geographically, while that's still there, I personally have a hard time recommending Bloody Bay because I remember how much better it was 20 years ago. Unfortunately, it is being "loved to death", and even the local authorities are finally starting to talk about removing some of the dive moorings to force some rest...although that IMO won't happen during the current economy's downturn. This doesn't mean that its bad. It still is quite good...but simply no longer is jawdropping which was what its reputation was based on.

I used to work on the Cayman Aggressor and I went to all three Islands every week.

Unfortunately, the Aggressor generally has but one dive site that they visit on the Brac, namely the 356 wreck. As such, is this comparison being drawn based upon but a single divesite?

Of course, the 356 site is a poor one to choose from for what's considered "typical", particularly since it is surrounded on all sides by sand for a pretty healthy distance (hence, why they chose that site to sink a ship), and few divers venture off the wreck to go find coral reef.

For those who know, there's a pretty formation known by some as "Margo's Corner", approx 75yds due west (across the sand) from the bow: its a window/swimthru, not unlike the one that's found on the east side of Randy's Gazebo...and easily 95% of the divers onboard a random diveboat will never see it (let's keep it that way). I wasn't able to get there this past trip, as my buddy was an overhead junkie...so we instead went through much of the wreck, including into the rear engineroom passage.

What about spending a week on LC and a week on Brac? Is there enough diving on Brac for a week without going back to LC if I've already been diving there? Or would it be better to split them 10 days / 4 days? I like to make my trips two weeks because the traveling is so unpleasant that once I've gotten somewhere a week is an awfully short time to stay.

Agree wholeheartedly on the longer trips bit. Arranging a split itinerary if you stay with LCBR / BRBR should be pretty easy...they'll even occasionally do the transfer by Diveboat (skips any dive-to-fly penalties), although a morning hop on the Express is more likely.

In general, the decision on how to split the time is up to you and what your preferences are for what kind of dives you like. The Brac tends to have deeper walls, higher relief shallow reefs on larger dive sites, open sand chutes and 'canyon' swim throughs ... whereas the big appeal for LC is in Bloody Bay, which through multilevel profiles on computers, allows for long bottom times for air hogs :D However thus said, I could use another trip myself to LC ... catch up with Gladys and others, and get back to a few "unfamous" spots like Grundy's Gardens (southside shallow reef on LC) to see how its Elkhorn corals are doing.

-hh

I have dived many sites on Cayman Brac and have nothing against it. If you dive bloody bay wall, ask the crew of your boat, how many of the boats they see that morning that are from cayman brac. After you head back to cayman brac ask for Raymond and tell him Avi says hi. Belive me its that small that they will know him and his big truck.
Whatever you post on scuba board someone else will tell you that you are wrong.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'll leave the gloves behind, but I won't go there in winter.

Whatever you post on scuba board someone else will tell you that you are wrong.
Pretty much true for any chat board. :D Still, this seems to be a very good place for solid information.

Geographically, while that's still there, I personally have a hard time recommending Bloody Bay because I remember how much better it was 20 years ago. Unfortunately, it is being "loved to death", and even the local authorities are finally starting to talk about removing some of the dive moorings to force some rest...although that IMO won't happen during the current economy's downturn. This doesn't mean that its bad. It still is quite good...but simply no longer is jawdropping which was what its reputation was based on.
-hh

The first time I dove LC was 20 years ago, 1989. In 1989 LC was just getting electricity.
I stayed at the Divi and dove the Brac, then you could request LC and as long as everyone agreed you could dive LC nearly every day. We also have stayed at LCBR.
20 yrs latter and the diving on the Brac remains great, there are some really great sites like Strawberry wall that is never dived that has some awesome life/views.

Diving the wall on the north side of the Brac is a lot deeper than it is on north side of LC. The diving in general starts on LC walls at 20 to 30 ft, whereas on the Brac it's more like 60 to 90 which limits your bottom time. LC is still really great but compared to what it was 20yrs ago...not so hot.

So many divers have dove Randy's Gazebo that now much of the coral is all busted off, there used to be a sea horse living right at the top. There are other areas on Bloody Bay wall that have been busted up, this may or may not be the result of divers as there have been some hurricanes but I tend to agree that the reef is being over loved.
Little Cayman
File0093.jpg

File0091.jpg

File0084.jpg

Near East chute, the Brac over 10 years ago. Today this wreck @60ft.is busted up.
File0074.jpg

Thanks for all that.

Nothing's what it used to be. The population of the U.S. has doubled in my lifetime! And improvements in equipment have brought mind-boggling numbers of people into diving. (Me included, so I ain't complaining.)

Thanks for all that.

Nothing's what it used to be. The population of the U.S. has doubled in my lifetime! And improvements in equipment have brought mind-boggling numbers of people into diving. (Me included, so I ain't complaining.)

True, nothing is what it used to be "except" if you go to out of the way places it is pretty close to what it used to be. Take for instance New Britain in PNG, only 500 Americans visit per year and not all of them are diving. Diving off New Britain is virtually what it used to be. Go to Australias west side near Exmouth and I'm sure you can find diving the way it used to be.

Bonaire is definitely not what it used to be as that last hurricane surge really took out the coral on the shallow dives and especially trashed Klein Bonaire. Can you say "cruise ship", as they have been coming in more often now than ever.

Grand Cayman is not what it used to be, I went to GC the first time in 1980, there were only 4 hotels and 3 restaurants. There were strips of beach with only bushes on them and no hotels, Treasure Island was an abandoned project. The locals were fishing off from 7 mile beach. The diving off Georgetown was really great.
Now some of the mangroves have been eliminated, there are cruise ships coming in most days and there is not many areas left that aren't built up.

Turks and Caicos still have areas left that are what they used to be as they are not too developed yet at this point but it certainly will be if the economy gets rolling again which could be ....10+ years yet.

The moral of the story is to try and find a place that has great diving and is hard to get is where you'll find the reefs "the way they used to be" and this all also depends on the locals who fish for sustenance.

cb868b26.jpg

File0041.jpg

PNG048.jpg

File0396.jpg

Nice pictures!!!

Yep. The harder a place is to get to, the more unspoiled it will be, whether for diving, or other activities, or just to experience local culture. Problem is, it's hard to get there. :D For myself, I don't travel well, so I won't be contributing to the spoiling of those out-of-the-way places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom