Cayman Brac or Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been wanting to visit LCBR for several years and finally looks like we'll book Memorial Day week of 2010! Thanks to everyone on this site. My only question is what shape the reefs are in after the hurricane a couple years back? Also, what kind of diving do you experience there, big stuff, little stuff, deep wall dives, current...?

I just got back from a week at LCBR. We did all of our dives north of the island in and around Bloody Bay. We did 3 dives per day. It takes about 20 minutes for the boat to make the run from the south side of the island around to the bay. The morning dives are generally dive 1 to a max of 110' and 50 minutes, a 45 minute surface interval and dive 2 to max 60' for 60 minutes. The afternoon dive is like dive 2.

The wall starts from 25' to 45' of water. There are numerous swim throughs. It is usually good to use the ones mentioned by the staff because some are dead ends or spit you out too deep (if you are going from the top of the wall down).

The coral, soft corals and sea whips and sea fans are in good shape. I think there was some damage to the corals in the past because I did not see large intact formations but there is currently healthy growth.

The visibility ranges from 60' to 100', at least when we were there. This is a no touch preserve. There are draconian punishments for diving with gloves. There are numerous fish. I have never seen more large grouper than here. The nassau grouper are especially common and ranged up to 4'. Some are even tame. There are grunts, snapper, angel fish, hamlets, blue chromis, butterfly fish and so on. There is good small life. The wall is superb. There a quite a few hawksbill turtles. They are very diver habituated and are very approachable. In facts, they will frequently approach you. We saw a few reef sharks and nurse sharks. We saw a fair number of rays but only a few eagle rays. I only remember 1 dive with any current and it was not strong. We often did our safety stop on a shallow part of the reef which is pretty nice.

The boats are very well maintained and well operated. The dive staff are very good.

Cayman Air told me that you can check a total of 55 lbs. per person from GC to LC. This does not include your carry on bag. I've slimmed down my travelling gear so much that I can easily meet that weight.
DMdoogie

IIRC, the carry-on bag has an 8lb weight limit.

We have been wanting to visit LCBR for several years and finally looks like we'll book Memorial Day week of 2010! Thanks to everyone on this site. My only question is what shape the reefs are in after the hurricane a couple years back?

Don't worry too much. I've not dived since Paloma (last November), but reports from local friends say 'no negative impact', with some positive comments about how all the Brac's reefs have gotten a major rest break from diver pressure.

For LC vs Brac, while many divers report favorably on Bloody Bay Marine Park (BBMP) sites, a lot of the reason IMO is because of how shallow the wall starts, which allows for easy & long bottom time dives. Unfortunately, this popularity has also resulted in BBMP getting "loved to death" beaten up - - these moorings have been in continuous use for over 20 years without any of them being pulled out of service for a "rest" and they definitely have declined from what they were like years ago. While there's still some friendly groupers, I don't see as many French or Grey Angelfish around, nor as many Rays either (Sting or Eagle), and any Cuda are these tiny little 3ft - 5ft babies. However, since you've never been there before, you probably won't consider it to be 'in decline'. One of these years, I'll have to find some UW photos in my collection to illustrate 'BBMP Dive Site X over the past 20 years' see if I can illustrate this.

Also, what kind of diving do you experience there, big stuff, little stuff, deep wall dives, current...?

In general, both islands have deep wall dives available ... the variability is how shallow they start: LC-BloodyBay is ~25fsw, LC-Jackson's is ~50fsw, LC-Southside is deeper (60fsw IIRC). The Brac tends to be 60fsw on the Northside & Southside, with the dropoff at several walls being 80fsw+ .. but more rugged and with swim-thrus. Diving Nitrox tends to be a bigger reward on the Brac, especially on the southside.

The Brac's southside is a nice contrast to BBMP, since by being southern-facing, the walls are in light instead of shadow, which provides for a completely different visual appearance...you can actually see them go on 'forever' below you.

For max depth off the walls, the practical limit is going to be you & the dive operation's policy (which typically is 110fsw).

For shallow, LC tends to be spot/patch, or hardpan formations, whereas the Brac has more spur & groove, particularly with some pretty serious vertical reef topology, which lets you swim *through* the reef, rather than merely "above" it (although some of the LC spot reefs, such as Eagle Ray in Jackson's, has some nice shallow reef canyon swim-throughs too). If you like big Sand Chutes going off the wall, the Brac is your place.

My general recommendation for Little Cayman is to try to get off the beaten path. Most visitors want to go to the "famous" sites and while they are famous for good reason, they're not the only diving that the island has to offer. Do make it a point to speak up and express a willingness to 'explore' other areas ... if nothing else, the staff will thank you silently, because ~80% of their diving is done week after week after week at the same dozen or so dive sites.

For current, there's generally very little. The dive staff is generally very good about selecting each day's site to be somewhere where there's 1/3 knot or less... although you still always need to check and then swim up-current (whatever there is) when you get out to the wall's edge.

Be more aware of your navigation to get back under the boat at the end of the dive, as most 'lost' divers are those that surface downwind and get blown away from the boat mostly by the wind. In general, I take one compass heading to get to the wall, and then rely on natural navigation from there, although there are some tricky sites where the face of the wall is horseshoe-shaped, which can throw you off.

For critters, there's a good mix of big & small, with certain sites being known for a certain critter here or there. The Brac's southside is known for having a blue variety of the lettuce leaf nudibranch, for example, and there's also Tarpon on Tarpon Reef, Horse Eye Jacks on Wilderness Wall, Flying Grunards at ... Schoolhouse Wall?, plus a few resident scorpionfish on the 356 wreck, sites that have a goldenphase coney, another that has a few indigo hamlet, etc. Local DM knowledge goes a long ways here...last fall, there was a spot in LC's Jackson's area where there was a 6ft lemon shark hanging out in 8fsw of water, etc. Other 'big' critters include turtles, and a couple of sightings per week is average. There's also a lot of tiny critters, although I have to admit to not paying too much attention to them, since I normally carry a wide angle lens. A good amount of 'medium' stuff too, like lobster, puffers, octopi, rock beauties, butterflies, etc. Some stuff is so common that you had also better also know your sub-species (Grouper: Nassau, Tiger, Black, Peacock, Coral, Goliath).

...and now all you have to do is to wait another 8 months. :D

-hh

... There are draconian punishments for diving with gloves...
So does this mean that those of us with poor circulation and chronically cold hands just have to freeze? On the one hand, I understand the concern for the coral, but on the other it seems harsh to distance the solution so far from the problem. (I've seen more people accidentally kick the coral with their fins than touch it with their hands.) In Cozumel I just promised the DM that I would touch nothing (I never touch anything but the water while diving) and he was okay with my wearing gloves.

On the thread topic, it seems that nearly everyone above prefers Little Cayman over Cayman Brac. So I'm surprised that one of the local dive shop owners was emphatic in recommending Brac over LC.

Daniel

So does this mean that those of us with poor circulation and chronically cold hands just have to freeze?
Daniel

The water ranges from a minimum of 79°F to a high of about 87°F. Freeze isn't exactly the word that some to mind.

There are no exceptions written into the law. This topic has been debated to death and the local authorites sought fit to implement the Marine Law in this way. Kindly remember that the dive operator did not write the law.

The Department of Environment publishes a brochure with regulations and maps which is available for download here.

The applicable sections regarding gloves read:
GENERAL RULES
• Damaging coral by anchor, chains or any other means ANYWHERE in Cayman waters is prohibited.
• No taking of ANY marine life alive or dead while on SCUBA.
• No taking of any coral, sponges, etc. from Cayman waters.
• Wearing gloves while diving or snorkelling in Cayman waters is prohibited.
• Export of live fish or other marine life is prohibited.
• Fishing with gill nets, poison or other noxious substances is prohibited.
• Dumping ANYTHING in Cayman waters is prohibited.
• The export of more than three conch shells and or any black coral requires a CITES permit, issued through the DOE.

PENALTIES

Violation of any of these laws is an offence carrying a maximum penalty of Cl$500,000 fine and one year in jail. Upon conviction, forfeiture of the vessel or other equipment may also be ordered.

Daniel, I also suffer with cold hands. However, it has never been a problem when diving in Little Cayman. The water temps are usually in the 80's in June.

I understand the reasoning: They assume that a diver who can touch will touch. I merely think that fins do more damage than gloves. Yes, my use of the word "freeze" was a figure of speech. There's also the problem of jellyfish. I try to avoid them but it's hard when you can hardly see them, and I like to keep as covered as I can: Dive skin, socks over my ankles, hood, and gloves.

Thanks, Carrie, for the word on the water temperature.

Maybe it says something about us, as a diving community, if a no-touch rule alone is not sufficient, and the authorities feel it's necessary to ban gloves because divers will not respect the rule otherwise. :(

Daniel

They are very strict about their no-gloves rule. I recall a surgeon who objected vigorously. He was really being a PITA about it, as well as about several other things. I don't remember the exact words, but he was essentially told "Those are the rules. If you don't like them, go somewhere else".

Last edited:
I used to work on the Cayman Aggressor and I went to all three Islands every week.
Little Cayman has Bloody Bay wall and it is the best. You can do the Tibbets one or two times and it is enough [unless I take you there] Little Cayman Is nice and relaxing. Cayman Brac is fine as well. If you stay on Brac, I promise you that you will just come over to Little Cayman to dive the wall anyway.

Back
Top Bottom