Cayman Brac input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Near the airport, many birds
upload_2018-1-3_14-46-42.png

For anyone interested, I previously posted a few shots of Divi Tiara and Club Tiara Divi Tiara, perfect for Halloween

Not that pond.... the dead one up the road near the liquor store. In fact, all the Whistling Ducks end up in the pond right in back of Carib Sands, probably the pond in above pictures. The stink pond usually has a white egret and that's it. He usually flies away when he gets tired of the smell.

Near the airport, many birds
For anyone interested, I previously posted a few shots of Divi Tiara and Club Tiara Divi Tiara, perfect for Halloween

While you were exploring Brac did you get a chance to see the remains of the Teignmouth-Electron? We checked it out several years ago and it was a sad mess; it has a strange and sad story.

The Teignmouth Electron (19 years after Tacita Dean) - National Gallery of the Cayman Islands

Last edited:
Not that pond.... the dead one up the road near the liquor store. In fact, all the Whistling Ducks end up in the pond right in back of Carib Sands, probably the pond in above pictures. The stink pond usually has a white egret and that's it. He usually flies away when he gets tired of the smell.
Sorry @vincent54, I did not mean to imply that was the pond you were talking about. I was just showing another nice pond I saw while riding the bike around. It was a follow up to the post of nice ponds by @KathyV. I saw and smelled the pond you mentioned. I spent a fair amount of time exploring around the Alexander Hotel the day we missed diving due to Tropical Storm Phillipe. I believe I saw the solo great egret while I was there.

While you were exploring Brac did you get a chance to see the remains of the Teignmouth-Electron? We checked it out several years ago and it was a sad mess; it has a strange and somber story.

The Teignmouth Electron (19 years after Tacita Dean) - National Gallery of the Cayman Islands
Hi @KathyV

I'm sorry I missed it, did not know about about it while I was there. Very interesting story.

I did find the hand painted signs at the Divi Tiara fascinating. Looks like what the bar at LCBR would look like after the apocalypse Divi Tiara bar signs I have a sign in Little Cayman that my wife painted on my 60th birthday trip. Has the well known iguana on it that relatively recently died, I forget its name

Hi @KathyV I'm sorry I missed it, did not know about about it while I was there. Very interesting story. I did find the hand painted signs at the Divi Tiara fascinating. Looks like what the bar at LCBR would look like after the apocalypse Divi Tiara bar signs I have a sign in Little Cayman that my wife painted on my 60th birthday trip. Has the well known iguana on it that relatively recently died, I forget its name

I heard that some folks went back to Divi Tiari to rescue their hand-painted signs from the beach bar after it closed.

Stumpy was the friendly blue iguana that was recently hit by a car and killed:
It's with sincere sadness we share news... - Little Cayman Beach Resort | Facebook

We have done shore diving twice on Cayman Brac. I would agree that the shore diving is much better than that on Bonaire. Possibly the best in the Caribbean. We have not been to curaçao.

A couple of things that make cb better than Bonaire are the topographical diversity and the number of easy shore diving entries. There are lots of chimneys and swim thrus. Rays, large grouper, turtles, and everything else. Some in the group saw a reef shark. There is one reef with barrel sponges that looks like the egg scene out of the movie aliens.

You generally shore dive only the north side. There are two wrecks, reefs, and the wall all accessible from the shore. There is also the curious Atlantis site that we were finally able to visit on the last trip.

Unfortunately, anytime the wind comes from the north or north east, you cannot shore dive the north side. You generally cannot shore dive the south side and can only rarely boat dive the south side. The wall on the south side is very far from shore. One time we did a dive from the public beach on the south side. 20 minutes later we had still not made the wall.

On our last trip in December, we were told that the weather was the worst in 20 years. We were still able to do 11 boat dives and 6 shore dives. On the previous trip in August, we did about 18 shore dives.

That swamp would make a nice marina if you could get a channel to it. But that channel looks like it would be a really major undertaking.

We used a private house and 4ds for the car rental both times. The first time we used reef divers for the tanks and the second time Brac shack.

Last edited:
December was windy and rough. I am recovering from all the bumps and scrapes coming in from my dives. We had white water swim outs on every site this past December every day Don’t miss the south side shore dives, they are awesome. Love the Kings Point Reef. Best approach is to swim at 10 feet level out to save air then drop at abyss, There is always a swell and boats can come through. The surface swims are rough on the south side. Don’t be afraid of the North side waves, they look worse than they are. Think of being a baby in a jogging woman’s womb. Bounced a little,but very comforting. South side swell, even small, can break your neck.

We saw something like a scrapyard / dump a while back. I am not sure if it was the same thing. It seemed uncharacteristic of the island at the time.

We are going to start looking for property on our next trip this summer.

Any realtor recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom