Cayman Airways Twin Otter Cancellation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I guess it was finally our turn. Apparently Cayman Airways had a bird strike yesterday in Little Cayman that damaged the wing of one of the Twin Otters. They didn’t realize it until they were doing their pre-flight in Brac for the next flight. That caused them to cancel our GC-LC flight that was supposed to depart GC at 3:20 today.

Instead of just changing our schedule automatically and sending us a notice, they called us the night before to discuss our other flights and ask what new flight worked best for us. We tried to get on the 5:10 flight via standby today, but unfortunately for us, everybody showed up for the full flight. Cayman Airways is paying for our room tonight at Sunshine Suites, gave us a $60 voucher for dinner, and gave us vouchers to cover cab fare to and from the airport. So I can’t really complain about how they are treating us, though their standby communication could use some improvement.

We are heading over on the 7:05am flight tomorrow morning, so we will see how we feel before deciding if we try to hurriedly grab gear and do the morning dives after checkin. Knowing LCBR, they will likely hold the boat if we tell them we want to dive, but we will see if the chickens on a Grand Cayman allow us any sleep tonight.

One positive was getting to go over to Georgetown Yacht Club via their free shuttle while waiting on standby and we had a nice lunch. Their smoked gouda and bacon burger and the grouper sandwich were both excellent! FWIW, the shrimp tacos and the tostada chicken salad at Sunshine Grill on GC were also very good, especially with Cayman Airways paying for it.

Well, I guess it was finally our turn. Apparently Cayman Airways had a bird strike yesterday in Little Cayman that damaged the wing of one of the Twin Otters. They didn’t realize it until they were doing their pre-flight in Brac for the next flight. That caused them to cancel our GC-LC flight that was supposed to depart GC at 3:20 today.

Instead of just changing our schedule automatically and sending us a notice, they called us the night before to discuss our other flights and ask what new flight worked best for us. We tried to get on the 5:10 flight via standby today, but unfortunately for us, everybody showed up for the full flight. Cayman Airways is paying for our room tonight at Sunshine Suites, gave us a $60 voucher for dinner, and gave us vouchers to cover cab fare to and from the airport. So I can’t really complain about how they are treating us, though their standby communication could use some improvement.

We are heading over on the 7:05am flight tomorrow morning, so we will see how we feel before deciding if we try to hurriedly grab gear and do the morning dives after checkin. Knowing LCBR, they will likely hold the boat if we tell them we want to dive, but we will see if the chickens on a Grand Cayman allow us any sleep tonight.

One positive was getting to go over to Georgetown Yacht Club via their free shuttle while waiting on standby and we had a nice lunch. Their smoked gouda and bacon burger and the grouper sandwich were both excellent! FWIW, the shrimp tacos and the tostada chicken salad at Sunshine Grill on GC were also very good, especially with Cayman Airways paying for it.
Food at Sunshine is surprisingly good. Rooms are tiny though. Good luck tomorrow!

Well, filed under the “Cayman Airways still has room to improve” heading…they flew us over here to LC at 7:05am and got us and our bags here just fine. In fact we were the only two people and the only bags on the plane. When we rolled up to the resort, we had a greeting party come out to meet us. Turns out there are 11 different parties that came in yesterday that are missing one or more bags and they were expecting them to come in on our plane. They did not. People with AirTags in their luggage said they were still showing up on GC. No idea why they would fly an empty plane to LC this am and not bring the bags. Oh well…guess they have room to improve.

I agree. Problem is getting the big 3 airlines to agree with us!
Flights just about any day of the week from nyc area. I thought it had more to do with the the two resorts sat sat policy and peoples travel schedules and preferences

They can’t fit everyone’s luggage on those little planes (I blame the divers that have a separate bag just for camera equipment 😝). Especially on the last flight of the day, it’s super likely that your Little Cayman luggage isn’t going to make it on the same flight. No matter what Cayman Air tells you, try not to check your carry on (it’s easier if that’s just a backpack and not real luggage, since it’s going to ride in your lap if the plane is full) and make sure that bag has everything you need to get you through the next couple of days.

Flights just about any day of the week from nyc area. I thought it had more to do with the the two resorts sat sat policy and peoples travel schedules and preferences
True but I wish that CA had more afternoon flights. Those connections can be challenging in winter.

And back to aggiediver starting a week in lc. Enjoy! Heavy rain flash flooding closed roads and even landslides here today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom