Cayman air questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are heading to Little Cayman Island resort for 8 days and leaving Friday. I have never bee to these islands and wondered if there were any unusual restrictions for inter island jump from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman? Are we ok with the usual 50 lb dive bags and one 50 lb shared non dive gear bag? We are silver elite so we get the extra bag for free with Delta but from Miami we are on Cayman air.

Any surprises waiting for us? Also, how are water temps from anyone who has been there recently,

Thanks in advance, Jay

Howdy Jay!

First from what I have been reading, the water temps have been around 80 or so. Not too bad but a few degrees warmer would be nice. Do take some sort of jacket or boat-coat because while the water temps may be OK it can be a little chilly between dives.

Typically when we go, we each have a 50lb bag, a carry-on, and a personal item. I don't remember the exact weight you are allowed on your carry-on. I do know that when you leave to come home, they typically weigh all your pieces of luggage. I think maybe in all the trips I have taken there, I have seen them charge one person for being overweight on their luggage. I think the weighing of the luggage has a lot to do with the fact that the plane you fly to Little Cayman in is a 16/18 seater and the amount of luggage can be an issue if some folks are carrying a lot of extra stuff. But if you are talking about a total of three 50lb bags, I suspect you may be charged. I can tell you that I can typically pack all my dive gear and clothes in one suitcase and stay under 50 lbs when going to LC and still have too many clothes.

Not sure what flight you will be on from GC to LC. If it's that last flight of the day, typically around 5:00 or so, luggage could be an issue although typically it's not. On one trip where we were on that last flight, my bag did not make it over on the plane. It was, however, on the very first flight the next morning and all was well. Again, because of weight issues and a limited amount of luggage/weight the plane can hold, just be prepared. It seems like a big deal at the time if it's your luggage not making it but all was well in the end and no dives were missed. Now if you are on an earlier flight in the day which typically tend to be less full, you may be just fine.

Not sure where you are staying but I hope you have a great trip. The diving there is as good as you get in the Caribbean.

Jay,
The Cayman flight from Mia to Grand will be no problem since they allow 2 55lb checked bags per person at no charge. If the flight to GC is on the same itinerary, Delta will transfer your bags to Cayman Airways, but you will need to stop for boarding passes at the Cayman counter in Mia. The Twin Otter from GC to LC allows 1-55 lb bag plus 1 15 lb carryon at no charge. This total of 70 lbs can also be broken up as several bags. Overage is charged at .50 US per pound. On a large overage people are definitely charged, but on a small overweight, it is luck-of-the-draw. It depends on which agent you get and/or his or her mood that day. I have seen people charged as little as $3. US, and others not be charged for considerably greater overweight. If your stated total of 150 lbs for 2 people includes carryons, you will be close to the 140 lb. limit. Even if you are charged, the amount is a pittance compared to the cost of the trip. The main reason luggage to LC is sometimes delayed is that many people go on vacation to get away from it all, and take it all with them.

Keyhunter pretty much covered it all, but to add my voice; yes, the twin otter flight has its own weight limits. Don't plan to carry a large carryon on to the plane over to LC. There are no overhead bins and very little space under the seats. Between my wife and I, we generally wind up with one bag for a dive gear (BCs, fins, wetsuits, etc.) that is about 45-50 pounds, one bag for our clothing and toiletries and accessories like flip flops and such that is about 35-40 pounds, one carryon sized pelican case with camera gear that is around 40 pounds. Then we usually have a backpack with a laptop and a regulator bag as our personal items. We carryon the pelican case from the US to GC to avoid the extra bag fee, then check it from GC to LC. I have never been charged for an overage going from GC to LC, and have only been charged for the overage coming back to GC once in five trips. Even if you do get hit for the overage, it is only $0.50 per pound, unlike the US carriers that have blanket fees of $75-200 for being over.

I have gone to Little Cayman a number of times. Keyshunter and Aggie Diver are right.

All of the luggage in the Otter gets thrown into the baggage compartment except for really small personal bags. If the flight is packed, there is a chance that your bags will not be able to go on the same flight. I have never had that one happen so I think it is a rare sort of thing. On the way back, they will often ask you to pack your bags the day before (except for small personal bags) and ship them out on the evening flight. This usually happens for Saturday morning departures. I have had this one happen 2 or 3 times.

Usually they ask you to make at least one bag ready (per room) friday night so they can take them when they have room on the flights saturday morning. We typically pack the bag with our clothes and send it out early when they ask for that. It is hard to do with a bag of dive gear since the gear just got wet that morning and hasn't had a lot of time to dry. Plus the dive gear is worth alot more than clothes.

Great information folks, thanks. We are spending the night in Miami so we can catch an early flight to the Caymans. .50 per lb is low enough that I think I'll pack my uv light stuff. In Bonaire the uv is spectacular but in Roatan not so much. I read that the Caymans have a lot of uv stuff to see so with that weight penalty the lights and yellow masks might just make the trip.

We will be staying at Little Cayman Beach Resort.

Jay, I have nothing to add about Cayman Air but just wanted to say it's good to hear you're feeling better and getting back in the water.

Have a great trip!

Thanks Scott, yeah 6 surgeries in the last 3 yrs has kinda slowed me down a bit:dork2:but I'm coming back. It didn't kill me but I'm having trouble believing the "makes you stronger" part of the saying. Actually I'm heading over to the Sports Chalet tonight. Wife wants something to wear over her 3 mil.

I was pleased to hear good things about the Little Cayman Beach Resort dive operation. Sounds like it will be a fun trip. I'm still thinking about Indonesia, I just haven't been able to convince myself about a 35 hour plane ride.

You will love the dive operation at LCBR. They are now the standard by which I judge all other operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom