Cayman Aggressor: When does it become too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seven of the 12 dives off Grand Cayman, I would never have chosen to do from a land-based operator. Dives at Babylon and the Kittiwake/Sand Chute were fine, no other dives were at the many excellent West side, North wall, or East end sites. My general advice would be to to a good land-based visit to any of the three islands.
Very interesting to read this. We went on the CA IV in 2011. It was our first trip to the Caymans and we were very excited to go to LC. Well of course we didn’t get to make the crossing to LC and I was very underwhelmed with the diving on Grand Cayman. For many years I equated all diving on GC to be what we experienced on the CA. Then I started reading about the east side diving and wondering if we had missed going to the better sites on GC. After comparing dive sites names I realized this was the case but still in the back of mind was that underwhelming experience we had on the CA.

You have finally stated the info I was seeking in comparing the liveaboard vs land based. Thanks. Maybe some day...

I've read that the CIV is returning to GC in July. I'm scheduled for a 8 day Mid August '22. Very curious to see how the refit changes the accommodations and functionality. With the tragic Conception charter boat fire, I imagine the camera table and charging station will be completely revamped for safety.

You have to pay for a history on Marine Traffic. I’m sure she was in a boatyard there where they ripped out the boat tracking device.

I’m pretty sure I know how to spell a boat name and track a boat I owned for 20 years, but thanks.
I think there was confusion between the Graf Spee and the MV Spree :wink: Both disappeared around Montevideo

I've read that the CIV is returning to GC in July. I'm scheduled for a 8 day Mid August '22. Very curious to see how the refit changes the accommodations and functionality. With the tragic Conception charter boat fire, I imagine the camera table and charging station will be completely revamped for safety.
As I'm sure you know by now, the IV is not yet functioning - I was supposed to be on the boat in August also and am awaiting our refund. We were part of a specialty trip; using insurance was brought up, but the trip was canceled with barely 2 weeks notice and there appeared to be no argument on the part of the Aggressor about refunds. And here's the upshot - checked the website today; the IV will be down until November 26th, 2022. What a mess.

As I'm sure you know by now, the IV is not yet functioning - I was supposed to be on the boat in August also and am awaiting our refund. We were part of a specialty trip; using insurance was brought up, but the trip was canceled with barely 2 weeks notice and there appeared to be no argument on the part of the Aggressor about refunds. And here's the upshot - checked the website today; the IV will be down until November 26th, 2022. What a mess.
Ouch!

Following...I'm booked on her in May 2023.

The message I got from Aggressor regarding canceled trips into November 2022 is that they were required to install sprinklers and they are citing all the usual delays, parts, labor, etc. My divers are less than happy because this was going to be a US Thanksgiving trip and a replacement trip at this late date will be difficult, and of course airfare will be steep.

As a general FYI, if a company cancels, this is a typical consumer contract between two parties, and if the seller fails to provide the promised (contracted) services, they are in breach. The consumer has all rights to request a refund.

For you and everyone else: here's the "rates and dates" page for the Aggressor IV. As of last week, trips were supposed to start on August 27th. Now they've been put off until end of November.

Just checked it again and now it is showing down through the end of 2022 with the first sailing in Jan 2023.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom