Cayman Aggressor in Late August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bionicdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm booked for a live aboard trip with the Cayman Aggressor in late August. This is my first time to the Cayman's and I was wondering if the dives will be all about the little fishes or will there be any big game (i.e. sharks, whale sharks, etc.)?

Thanks!

Cayman islands are known for some of the best visibility and dramatic wall dives. You will see sharks, although it is not necessarily a location that draws divers who really want to see big schools of sharks/fish. You would have to be very lucky to see a whale shark.

I'm signed up for Aug 24-31 trip ... maybe we will be on the same trip :D

I have been on the Cayman Aggressor three times. There are plenty of large Nassau grouper, a few Caribbean reef sharks, a fair amount of nurse sharks, plenty of larger snapper, a few eagle rays and southern stingrays. I once saw a HUGE Goliath grouper off of Little Cayman. I have never seen a whale shark or any other shark species except the two I mentioned above.

I had a GREAT time on all three trips. I especially love the Little Cayman diving. You can go to Aggressor's site and read the Captains' logs (they have them on here, too). That will give you a good idea what to expect. Plenty of former passengers have posted videos on Youtube, as well.

Cheers and have an awesome time!

Cayman islands are known for some of the best visibility and dramatic wall dives. You will see sharks, although it is not necessarily a location that draws divers who really want to see big schools of sharks/fish. You would have to be very lucky to see a whale shark.

I'm signed up for Aug 24-31 trip ... maybe we will be on the same trip :D

thanks for the info! And Yes! We are on the same trip!

---------- Post added July 19th, 2013 at 04:32 PM ----------

I have been on the Cayman Aggressor three times. There are plenty of large Nassau grouper, a few Caribbean reef sharks, a fair amount of nurse sharks, plenty of larger snapper, a few eagle rays and southern stingrays. I once saw a HUGE Goliath grouper off of Little Cayman. I have never seen a whale shark or any other shark species except the two I mentioned above.

I had a GREAT time on all three trips. I especially love the Little Cayman diving. You can go to Aggressor's site and read the Captains' logs (they have them on here, too). That will give you a good idea what to expect. Plenty of former passengers have posted videos on Youtube, as well.

Cheers and have an awesome time!

Thanks Amy! I love diving with the sharks. We get plenty of them here in NC. Hoping to see another type besides a sand tiger.

... or will there be any big game (i.e. sharks, whale sharks, etc.)?

Thanks!

I was on the CA about a year ago. We were entertained by several grey reef sharks at LC but I thought the Huge barracuda was more exciting. From a distance, cruising just off the shear wall, it looked like a shark because of the dark color and the mass of fish swimming in it's shadow. As it got closer, it was, as I was told later, a barracuda known as snagletooth. On a more recent trip, a very old & large loggerhead was just one of the big critters swimming with us.

I was on the CA about a year ago. We were entertained by several grey reef sharks at LC but I thought the Huge barracuda was more exciting. From a distance, cruising just off the shear wall, it looked like a shark because of the dark color and the mass of fish swimming in it's shadow. As it got closer, it was, as I was told later, a barracuda known as snagletooth. On a more recent trip, a very old & large loggerhead was just one of the big critters swimming with us.

Thanks shawrg! Looking forward to the trip. While I have seen my fair share of barracuda, I have never seen a snagletooth.

Snaggletooth was the name of the barracuda.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom